4.3 The Book Theif

I continued browsing, looking at some of the things Alice used to show me about.

There was gem stone beads available in the shop, each with their own unique ability. Alice would constantly tell me about how there is magic in almost everything, whether it can use it or not.

With gem stones, it was probably the simplest and well known. An amethyst and quartz represents healing, as an amethyst is a basically purple quartz. Aquamarine symbolised peace and sapphires for focus.

Phoebe couldn't decided on who to keep her eyes on. Me or Felix. She should be watching us both tbh.

It was almost as if on cue, the chimes outside fell, crashing to the ground in an unharmonious thus.

I looked up, and watched phoebe huff and run out of the shop. Felix and I head towards the back, pushing through the beads.

It looked almost exactly as I remember it, or at least how I thought I remembered it...I'm not even sure how old I was when she brought me in here.

The lighting was enchanting ehre, it was many bright yet it wasn't dull either. Felix began to push stuff around, looking for his book.

I wonder if it's that book that he's talking about? What did Alice call it? Alice's Spell book?

I was drawn to the Alter, the little cabinet That had changed since I last saw it. Missing posters and Alice's photo sat on top.

Alice was into magic a lot; and she kept my magic belief alive. Even thought I couldn't exactly do it, sometimes I could feel it.

She never actually showed me magic, just spoke about it a lot. But I knew that I could sense it, or at least I thought I could.

I keep forgetting that I was only little, and didn't really know any better.

The wood on the dresser was old, and probably rotting away. I moved my finger down it, passing the first draw and landing on the second one.

"Felix, is this what you were looking for?" I ask pulling open the draw to reveal a book. One that I vaguely remember.

Leather and hand written was how it was etched into my brain. It's a loose memory, but that's the memory.

"Yeah..." Felix takes it but was slightly cautious, "How did you know?"

I was entranced by the book for a second, there's just something about it.

I blinked a few times before pulling it out of the drawer, "oh," i took the book out of the draw and handed it to him, "Lucky guess?"

He rushed out of the room, and I quickly followed suit, going back to pretending to be a regular customer.

From a side glance I could see Felix hide the book on one of the shelves in front of me before going back to pretend to look at a little book on fairies

Phoebe marches back into the building, looking at Félix and I suspiciously, thinking that we done some thing wrong.

Well, she probably knows we've done something wrong. "Find what you were looking for?" You can tell by the tone of her voice that she doesn't trust us.

"No." Félix says rather quickly, and I press my lips together.

We are so getting caught.

I continued to wander around the shop, looking and all the the little bits and bobs that I saw Alice have in her own house. My guess was this is where Alice got most of her magic stuff from.

I'm suddenly snapped out of my day dream when Pheobe's voice cuts through, "Where'd you get that from?" She demands, as she snatches the book form Felix's hand.

Why would that idiot be reading the book in front of her?! Seriously, can he be any more stupid??

"It waste on the shelf." He argues as he tries to reach for the book, but the angry shop owner keeps it from his reach.

"No, it wasn't." A dangerous look was in her eyes.

Felix tried to argue his way out of this, "I just -"

"No."

"Can I just-"

"No. Adults only, little scoundrel."

As Phoebe walked away, book in her harms, a Félix sighs and walks after her. "Well, then, do you have protective amulets against evil spirits?"

The brown haired lady rolled her eyes, "We don't use the 'evil' word anymore. So judgemental."

"What's the cheapest one you've got?"

Phoebe did not look impressed, "How cheap?"

Felix reaches into his pocket and pulled out how ever many coins he had, who didn't really add up to much... "Thirty five cents?"

Phoebe looked at me again, eyes almost lighting up with recognition, before rolling her eyes when she looks back at Félix.

She turned around and walked out of the room for a few moments.

"You're kidding about the evil spirits right?" I asked him, not sure if I believe them myself.

I couldn't really explain to you what happened to us, but evil spirits? I really hope that he's wrong about it.

Although, it wouldn't be the first time I was sort of caught up in magic. Like I said before, Alice loved magic and she loved to talk about it, but I never actually saw her do any.

"It's better to be safe than sorry," He pulls a smile which told me he didn't like it either, "We can't risk it."

Phoebe returns, with a cardboard box in her hands before slamming it on the table. I was going to throw these out, but you can have them."

It was honestly amazing that she was being nice to us. Like, I kinda knew Phoebe, but not as much as I should have. "Since when do protective charms have use-by dates?" I ask grabbing out a bag of crystals and inspecting them. How does a crystal go off?

"Since they came from Korea." She replied with a huff, watching a Félix continued to dig around.

Felix picked up another bag, "Will they work?"

"You tell me," She smirked, "Felix."

The goth was taken back by surprise, we'll honestly I would have too. No one knew us here, so how the hell did she know his name?

"How did you know my name?" Felix looked like he was in a small panic, pretty much matching how I felt about her.

She smirked, "It's on your book."

I sighs with relief, looking at Félix who had his diary clutched close to his chest. "Oh."

The bells chime as Sam entered the magi shop, skateboard and helmet in hand, "Are we done here?"

"One minute." He tells Sam, not bothering to look up from the box, "The amulet picks you."

Phoebe and I catch each other's gaze, both rolling our eyes at what Félix had just said.

I turned to walk out the door, calling out a small 'thank you' as we left. Felix wasn't too far behind, doing the same, but with a little twist. "Thanks you," he smirked, "Phoebe."

She looked slightly alarmed, "Wait, how did you know my name?"

But he just smirked and walked out of the shop, with Sam and I following behind him quickly.

"Way to creep her out." I laugh, having a feeling that it'll drive Phoebe inside trying to work out how he knew her name.

Felix smirked, "Well, if there's one thing I should be able to accomplish as a goth, it'd be to creep people out."