6.0 Freeganism

You know what, I didn't expect my morning after the killer attack of magical bees to be filled with other people's rubbish.

Rummaging though people's garbage that they left on the side of the road with the sign 'FREE' plastered out the front, doesn't make me feel all that great.

Like, I know it's free and all, but it still feels just...odd.

"Get down, it's the cops!" Felix whispers, as Jake grabs my wrist and pulls me to the ground, crouching beside him as we see the car pull past.

The snide comment I had loading at my lips stopped when I noticed Jakes face. Shock, bewilderment, confusion, even sadness all were too easy to read across his face.

And I knew why when I looked through the drivers side window. It was Jake's Dad, but not. It was Gary, but he was so different, and it must be crazy seeing that change.

Thankfully, he didn't noire us all hiding and continued to drive.

"You were right." Jake spoke, catching everyone's attention, "Me being born, I wrecked my parents lives."

His gaze was right at Andy, who seemed a little taken back, "I didn't put it like that exactly," he stumbled over his words, "Change isn't necessarily better."

Jake rose an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Cops have notorious cholesterol and hypertension ussues, and in a survey I read, realestate agents rated blow telemarketers in trust worthiness."

I placed a hand on his shoulder, "it wouldn't have been your fault."

He was trying to hide his emotions as Felix spoke to us, "Alright, all clear."

All five of us crept out from behind the piles of stuff. Jake grabbed a gas can, which was probably empty or if not close to it.

"I can't believe it's come to this, other people's rubbish?" Sam complained as we saw Andy carrying what looked like a broke speaker to his trolley.

Sam looked like he was eating the last of a muesli bar he had, not sharing it with the rest of us. And I think Andy noticed.

"Thanks for your help Sam, really. Don't put yourself out."

I rolled my eyes as Sam snapped back, "Dude, seriously, if you want a whole heap of useless junk, that's your problem."

"Dial it back boys." I stepped in, as Andy began to wheel his trolley away, "We don't have much option here and I'm sure this stuff is useful."

"This isn't junk. Did you know that we throw out more than five billion dollars worth of stuff every year? It's better to reuse what we've already got." Andy shared, as we all headed home.

"Freeganism." I said, shrugging my shoulders, helping Andy keep the trolley straight.

Felix seemed impressed by it, "Freeganism. Cool." He smiled at me and I gave a small laugh.

Sam swatted his hand through the air, "Nah, you just made that word up."

"Unfortunately not. Tis a real thing." I looked back at Sam who seemed to put the last of his food in his mouth.

And I think Andy noticed, "What are you eating?"

"Nothing." The boy was quick to respond.

I felt a chill go up the back of my neck, as I quickly whipped around, expecting to see a ghost.

...but there was nothing there...I'm sure I felt something.

...

"I don't know if the gas is going to work, but here's hoping." Jake says as he holds a match up to small, but broken stove top that we found.

All of us held out breaths as he lit it. And it didn't work.

"Turn it doofus." Jake rolled his eyes at Andy who quickly follows his orders.

And then, it lit. Everyone cheered, getting really excited over the fact that we now had a controllable fire. And thank god too. I don't think I could function well if there was another fire accident.

It seemed to put Jake into a good mood, "Who's up for a home cooked meal?" He smiled, "I make a mean BLT."

Sam pointed out the one flaw in that plan, "Small problem, we don't have food."

Jake shrugged, "We'll go shopping."

Skate boy was confused, "With what?"

"Your money should get us some basics."

Once again, Sam looked confused. "What money?

"That money you earned from skate busking." I think Jake was starting to catch on.

And Sam knew it too, "Ahhh, low blood sugar, needed chocolate." He blurred out quickly earning a groan from us.

"You spent it, didn't you?" Jake was annoyed. "Selfish fool."

"It was only a couple bucks," Sam tired defending himself.

Jake sampled his hand on the box in front of him, "Well I guess we're freegans then, so who's coming shopping?"

Sam immediately put his hand up, but was shot down by Jake.

"Not you."

Andy then stood up, "I'll come, but freegans don't really shop."

Jake rolled his eyes, "Look, are you coming or not?" After seeing the boy give a small head nod, he got his answer, "Great."

And the they left, leaving a tense room. Felix was staring at sam, waiting for him to give an answer. "I was gonna share, I was just so hung-"

"We're all hungry Sam."

I felt bad for the boy, "Maybe next time, just share it bub. We've only got each other."

And he seemed to nod and understand.

I stood up, "I'm gonna go and keep looking for any sort of trace of my family. They have to exist somewhere."

Felix laughed, "Like we do."

I walked out, trying to think of anything that I could use to figure out where my family was, but I couldn't even begin to actually think.

"Allie wait up," I heard Felix run out of the shack and after me, "I could actually use your help."

I looked at him curiously, "What do you mean?"

...