3.1 Bin Diving

I can't believe we're really doing this. Is this really what we have to resort to? Bin diving for food? I just watched as Sam was thrown into one of the huge bins behind Felix's dad's shop.

"Only two days out of date and a little bit of mould." He says throwing me an old container of doughnuts at me. I

I caught it with a look of disgust, "Lovely..." I mutter, but the boys seem pretty impressed with the situation. We found a few other things, like stale chips and what not. Things I'd rather not be eating to be honest. It's quite disgusting.

"These will go well with the five-day-old custard." Felix jokes.

Felix makes his was over to the second bin, where Andy was standing next to. "Come on," He says to the short boy, "I'll boost you."

Andy backed away, completely terrified, "Sorry, I'm germ-phobic." he says, freaking out.

Jake just hardens his face, "Then consider this therapy." Andy still wasn't convinced, "Come on. What would Bear Grylls do?"

I saw Andy just sigh and agree. Jake boosted him into the bin, and he began to freak out, "Oh, I can feel the bacteria attacking. All 10 million types."

That's when we heard the door slam open, with Felix's dad walking out with a cricket bat in hand, "Right. Out. Before I hit you mob for six."

"That's my Dad." Felix moaned at the site of his Dad.

Andy clambered out of the bin, with Jake steadying him as he got to the ground, "Come on, sink or swim, bro." Sam called out jumping out too, throwing Felix an old loaf of hot cross buns.

"I said out."

"Move it guys!" I shout leading the way back to the shack. I don't think we stopped until we reached the shack again.

I collapsed to the ground, panting, but laughing in between breaths. "Man what a rush!" I laugh, as Andy sits down beside me, panting heavily.

Jake stands above me, "You're pretty fast for a girl." he compliments, and I smirk.

He rolled his eyes, before offering me a hand up, "You wish."

I take his hand, smirking as we all head inside to look at our stash.

We sat down in the middle of the shack, placing all our scavenged food in the centre. Doughnuts,hot crossed buns and chips. What a diet.

Jake shoved his hand into the packet of chips, before shoving them into his mouth, "mmm." he mocks, "Stale chips, not bad."

"I'm not hungry." Andy just looks disgusted as i reach for one of the stale doughnuts, taking one of the moldy things and picking off the piece of green, and flicking it elsewhere.

"Well, i'm starving!" I say, talking a bite into the doughnut, tasting the old cinnamon and sugar flavouring. "Semi decent."

Sam took a bite of a mouldy hot cross bun, "It has a distinct aroma with a certain intense rubbishness." He mocks, "Full of surprises. Mould. Grainy sugar. And a hint of cigarette butt." He looks closer at it, grimacing when he pulls out an actual cigarette butt which was lodged within it.

I laugh, "Gross." Everyone begins to laugh at Sam.

"That explains it." Sam shrugs eating it again. "I'm giving it a 3 out of 10."

Andy changed his mind, and began eating on of the doughnuts, seeing me eat it and not die, "Almost inedible. 2 out of 10."

"0.5 from this critic." I smirk, holding up my doughnut.

Felix holds up his doughnut, "A Big fat zero."

It had us all laughing, and being able to laugh in a horrid situation like this is just what we need.

"My Mum makes these."

Everyone fell silent, with the reality of the situation coming back to us all. None of us had families right now, nor homes. Our lives have been erased. Like, someone went through and cut us out with a knife.

I lean onto Jake's shoulder, and i felt him tense, "We'll work this out." I try to comfort him, and he relaxes.

Sam puts a comforting hand on his arm, "I know it."