1.10 Cramped Car Rides

The ride to Bremin wasn't too long, maybe like five to ten minutes, but what was uncomfortable, was being squished in between Jake and Sam - they stink!

When we finally got to Bremin, I didn't hesitate to get out of that car.

"Be careful in that forest, guys. " he says leaning out of his window.

"Thanks, Roland."

"That thing that was chasing us, it was weird." Sam says

"You're not wrong," Felix says, looking at Sam.

"dreamtime stories are all about evil spirits in the bush." I say with a smirk towards Felix, who returns it.

"That's superstition, not science."

"Science doesn't explain everything, Andy." Felix argues. And he's right. Just because we can't explain it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

"And superstition does?" Andy argues back, and I can tell that these two are getting way too into this conversation.

"Stop it, you two." Jake adds in stopping as we walk down the street. "Not much of a reception." He mutters

"Where's the cameras and the newspapers?" Sam asks looking around him confused as to why no one was there. "Oh! Reception." He says realising that we may have it.

I reach out and grab my iphone, with almost full battery and...no signal. "None, have you guys got any?" I asked and they all shook their heads at me.

"I must be out of credit." Jake says pulling out an old Nokia phone, which looks like it had been through hell. Scratch marks and everything.

Sam steps forward, "Does our disappearances and miraculous reappearance seem like a bit of a non-event to you?"

He has a point, you'd think at least someone would have come running noticing that we're here right now. I looked around us, trying to find any familiar faces, but nothing. Maybe non of our family and/or friends are in town? But, I wasn't here for a long time...so maybe I just don't know these people

"Normal for me." Felix says.

"Weird for me." Sam counters. well, he is an attention seeker.

"Yeah, well, my Mum will be freaking out. So I'm out of here." Jake says beginning to move away. "You have a good life, losers!" She shouts and I fold my arms with eyebrows raised.

"No, we can't just separate!" Andy stops Jake, "We just had a classic male-and-female-bonding experience! Brief man hug?" He asks and I roll my eyes. Man hug?

"No way." Jake refuses.

"See you in school, then?" He asks rather hopeful.

"I've never seen you three. I don't know you three." He points to Andy, Felix and I. "Any of you talk to me, and I'll crush you." A growl escapes me as I watch the meat head walk away.

I knew him when I was younger, I'm glad I don't now.

"Well, I need food." Sam announces, walking up to us to high five. "See you, brainiac dude." He high fived Andy, then moved to Felix. "Goth dude." And then finally to me, "Allie-dude."

And with that, Sam walked away trying to find food.

"I thought we bonded." Andy sighed and Felix shrugged

"On the upside, we didn't resort to cannibalism." I raise my eyebrows.

"That's such a great positive." I chuckle and Felix just smirks at me.

"See ya."

"I'll see you round Andy." I wave him off, walking the other way, the same way that Sam and Jake went.

"Bye." A sad Andy sighs in defeat, and I watched him follow Felix.

...

I found it really weird that no one here in town was rushing to our sides, asking if we were alright. Or just saying hello in general.

I speed walked through the Bremin Botanical Gardens, and made it onto my street. It was a fair walk, maybe 20 minutes, but it felt even more tiring after sleeping in the bush for the night.

Slowly I began to make my the incline, and I was tired. I tired from a poor sleep and lack of food.

Maybe it's just scaring the hell out of me that my mum would be so worried about me... I don't want to put her through that.

She probably thought she lost me like we lost my father...forever.

I forced those thoughts out of my head as I saw the bricked, double storey house. The garden was in bloom, as were the giant trees surrounding, blew in the wind pushing old leaves onto the top of our roof.

"I'm gonna have to clean that..." I mutter as I make it to the driveway, and head towards the front door.

I turn the handle, but sighed when I found that the door was locked. "Seriously?" I mutter as I knock on the door three times.

The sound of someone thundering down the stairs caught my attention. Heavy foot steps then made their way towards the door, and with a click it unlocked.

I grabbed the door handle, but it turned in my hand, so I stepped back.

Just as I did, the door opened quickly, but that was followed by a rather deep voice. "Can I help you miss?"