Boy or Girl?

"Nicole are you ready? The appointment is at 1 and its already 12:30!" Mom yells impatiently from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" I yell running around my room to finishing getting ready.

After I have everything, I run downstairs and stand in front of an angry mom.

"Nicole! I told you to be down here at 12:10. Why did it take so long? We were supposed to take Bella to Grandpas house but now we don't have time!" She almost yells.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your scolding Jen but if you want to get to that appointment on time, we need to leave now." Justin says politely so he doesn't make mom mad.

"Okay." Mom sighs and walks out the door with Bella.

We all get in the car and mom starts up again.

"So what were you even doing? Playing on your phone? I gave it back to you like a month ago, is it still that interesting?" Mom asks

"No, I just lost track of time. I'm sorry. But I do think it will be cool to let Bella see the baby and find out the gender with us." I say trying to lighten the mood.

Justin nods in agreement but mom just doesn't say anything. I think she's pissed.

We get to moms doctors office and sit in the waiting room while mom checks in.

She comes back with a clipboard that has some information that she needs to fill out.

As she finishes the paperwork, a lady comes in.

"Jennifer Theroux." She calls.

We all get up and follow her to the back.

The nurse gets all the necessary information she needs and then leads us into a room and leaves saying that the doctor will be back in a minute.

As we sit down in the room, Bella starts walking around, touching everything and asking questions. Well at least she tries but mom yells at her.

"Isabella! Stop touching things. Sit down!" Mom yells.

Bella starts to cry and throws herself on the ground. Before the doctor comes in, I quickly pick her up and clam her down so she doesn't interrupt.

I get her to stay quiet by giving her candy that I have in my purse.

"Hi! I'm doctor Smith. I will be looking at the baby and determining the gender. Are you excited?" Doctor Smith asks.

"yes! We are very excited!" Mom says suddenly happy.

"Good. Now can you pull up your shirt?" The doctor asks.

Mom does as told and the doctor pulls out the machine to do the ultrasound with.

She puts the gel on moms stomach and moves the wand around.

Our eyes were glued to the screen except for Bella's because she's confused.

"What that?" She asks.

The doctor laughs and says "that's the baby!"

"That baby?" She asks.

"Yeah." I say and look at the screen again.

"That weird!" Bella says. We all laugh but keep our eyes on the screen because we don't want to miss a single second of this.

After a few minutes, the doctor knows what the baby is.

"Are you guys ready to find out the gender of your baby?" The doctor asks mom and Justin.

Mom nods and the doctor speaks.

"It's a baby boy!" The doctor says.

All of our mouths open wide and we look at each other.

Mom starts to cry with happy tears. And Justin kisses moms head.

"Bella! You and I are gonna have a little brother!" I say.

"Yay!" She yells.

I love how excited she is!

"I'm finally gonna have a boy in the house! I don't have to be surrounded by just girls anymore!" Justin laughs.

"What ever Justin! You love us!" Mom laughs through her tears.

"Yes I do." Justin smiles.

"Sounds like you guys are happy!" The doctor laughs.

"Yeah I think we're pretty happy" mom smiles and wipes her last year away.

"Good! The baby looks good and healthy! But I can already tell that is one is going to be pretty big." The doctor says.

"Great." Mom half laughs and rolls her eyes. "But I did lucky twice. You two weren't that big." Mom says and looks at Bella and I.

We all laugh and the doctor starts to pack up equipment and clean off the gel from moms stomach.

"You guys seem to be great parents!" The doctor says as she finishes writing a report on the baby.

"Thanks! It's crazy that I'm going to have two biological children soon!" Justin smiles.

That kinda hurt. And I can see the slight confusion on the doctors face. She obviously doesn't know much about us.

"But it's even better when you add the most amazing big sister to the equation. Even though she's not biologically mine, I love her with all my heart." Justin says and kisses me on the head.

That's better.

"That's so sweet!" The doctor smiles. "Well I don't want to keep you guys here so you can just go to the front desk when you are ready to leave. Have a nice day guys!" She says and leaves.

"She was nice." Justin says. "Yeah." Mom says.

"Thanks Justin." I smile and hug him.

"No problem Nicole. I love you!" Justin says.

"I love you too!" I say and smile.

We check out and leave the doctors office. Then we make our way home. When we get home, Justin decides to take Bella for ice cream so it just leaves mom and I.

While the doctor was doing the ultrasound, she took pictures so mom decided to start the new baby's baby book.

Mom tapes the ultrasound pictures on the first page and traces the outline of the book.

"You happy about this baby now? Do you have any doubts?" I ask.

Mom looks up at me and smiles then says "very happy. You and Justin made this a whole lot better with all your support. And thanks for putting up with my moody, pregnant ass all the time." Mom laughs.

"No problem. It's all worth it!" I smile and hug mom.