Falling In Love With A Best Friend (Chapter 16)~The Altar

Aphmau's POV

I stare fearfully as I see the nurses crowding Laurance. I feel a hand on my shoulder, so I turn around swiftly to see Garroth standing there. A warm and reassuring smile is plastered on his face, "Laurance will be ok... I promise." Garroth assures. 

He shifts around uncomfortably when he says Laurance's name. I don't take note of it since it's cold in here. 

"CPR... NOW!" I hear a nurse yell. Both Garroth and my eyes widen, "What'd you do!?" I ask him. 

"I-I didn't do that!" He exclaims genuinely. 

I twist my body around in the direction of the nurses and Laurance's body. I see a nurse hovering over Laurance with her palms laying on his chest. 

"1...2... 3..." She mutters, pushing at every number. 

She continues this for a bit, doing the regular pump-mouth-to-mouth-pump motions. It makes me uncomfortable whenever she does mouth-to-mouth, but I know it's for Laurance's health. Suddenly, Laurance gasps for air. 

"He's alive!" The same nurse from before exclaims while throwing her hands in the air. I roll my eyes at her actions, then push past her and the crowding nurses. 

"L-Laurance? Are you ok?" I question. 

The nurses run out of the room like cheetahs. He nods weakly, still regaining his strength. His eyes dart in a direction that's behind me. I turn my head to see him shooting daggers at Garroth. 

"Garroth..." He mutters. 

"Laurance, it's ok. He's not here to hurt you.." I try to calm him down. 

"No, he tried to kill me!" Laurance growls. 

"He helped me bring you here! Without him, you wouldn't be helped... You're too heavy for me to carry on my own." I explain, trying to change his mind. 

"No!" Laurance exclaims. 

Garroth looks frightened as he back up to the door, "Yea, run coward." Laurance growls as Garroth leaves.

His armor clanks against each other as he runs down the hall. I have Laurance stay in the bed. I pull over a chair, plopping down right by him. The anger leaves Laurance's eyes. I run my fingers through his hair, trying to comfort him. It normally helps calm him down. 

"Are you ok?" I ask, playing with his hair and getting small tangles out. 

"Yea... Just, I can't believe I lost control.... I mean, I can believe it but.. I just don't like to embrace it." He trails off. 

"I know you don't like to talk about it but... What was it like in the Nether?" I ask. He sighs, then starts explaining.

~Flashback, Laurance's POV

It was dark...

Eerie.

I wanted to be any place other than here.

I wanted to run and leave.

Leave the Nether behind

But I couldn't...

You were stuck there, and I couldn't leave you.

We were 15 and I already had to make a decision of life or death.

And I chose death

To save you...

I didn't die, but the alter felt like death.