Loud Mouth Asshole

"Don't worry, kiddo." Mack tells me as he drives me to my first of four Saturday detentions. "Just keep your head down and study or something. It'll be three o'clock before you know it and I'll be picking you up again." I really don't have an answer for him and he sighs. "Come on, kiddo. Dad ain't around and he can't do anything."

My dad is abusive and an alcoholic. Mack says he has PTSD from World War Two, Korea, and Vietnam, I say he's just insane. Dad gets mad over everything and he likes to hit but he's usually smart about it and hits us wear we can cover up the bruises. When he found out about me getting detention on the first day of school he was pissed and I have the bruise on the side of my face to prove it, luckily my hair covers it.

Our dad is a narcissist (by my standards at least) where our house is filled with pictures of him all over the world, there two pictures in the house (that he knows of at least) that aren't of him. The first is a picture of my mom before she died when I was seven, Mack, and I. The second is a picture of Mack and I before we moved to Seattle, I stood in my rugby uniform and he stood in his football uniform.

Mackenzie and I don't look related like at all. Mack stands at six foot three where I stand at five foot three. Mack has ginger hair the recessive gene that he gets from our grandfather while I have light brown hair. I have stormy grey eyes where my big brother has dark coffee coloured eyes. Mack also has freckles all over his face and I have none.

"I miss mom." I admit.

My mom died when I was seven, she had a bad heart and one day it just stopped. She was like the nicest person in the world and before she died my dad was a nice person. As soon as we put her in the ground everything with my dad was flipped upside down, pulled inside out, then flushed down a toilet for good measure. My dad went from being a loving father to being this monster that I'm scared of. I mean it probably didn't help that mom died while he was on tour in Vietnam but we can't control that. Dad hasn't been right since mom died but that's been the last seven years for ya.

"I miss her too, kiddo." Mack admits and scratches the back of his neck. "You better get in there before you get more detentions."

"Yeah. Promise me that you'll pick me up at three?" I ask and he smiles.

"There is no other place that I'd rather be, little sister." He tells me and I smile. "Try to have fun." Mack says as I open the passenger side door.

"I'll try my best. I might start a book burning party." I joke and he laughs.

"Be good." Mack yells out the open window.

"I'll try." I yell back as I get to the front doors of the school.

So detention is help in the library and I'm still kinda new to the school so it takes me about ten minutes to find the library. Once I find it I walk in and see who else is serving detention. Remember the hippie girl chained to the tree and the jockstrap guys that were pushing people into puddles? Well hippie girl has a head cold for chaining herself to a tree in the rain and jockstraps are arm wrestling at one of the tables.

I sit down at a table almost across the room from them so I don't have to deal with any of them. I slip my backpack off my shoulders and set it down on the floor beside me. I unzip it and pull out a magazine with David Bowie on the cover, my sketchbook, and my pencil case. I start to flip through my magazine as someone else comes into the library. I don't look up but someone drops down beside me.

I don't actually look up until someone grabs my sketchbook and starts to flip through it. At that point I jerk my head up to see Frank smiling down at my sketchbook.

"You're pretty good at this drawing thing." He says without looking up and I smile.

"Thanks." I say quietly and he looks up.

"You're really quiet." Frank tells me. "I have made it my personal mission to convert you to a loud mouth asshole." He laughs.

"Really?" I ask and he nods. "Good luck with that."

"See? You're already getting the hang of it." He tells me. "Whatcha looking at?"

"David Bowie's drug addiction." I admit and move the magazine so he can see.

"He's insane." Frank admits and I shrug.

"That's not a bad thing." I remind him.

Frank and I talk back and forth for a little while without drawing the attention of the jockstraps or the hippie girl with a head cold. After the jockstraps are done arm wrestling they look over at us.

"Hey Jason, isn't that Mack's little sister?" One jock asks another and I roll my eyes.

"Doesn't look like Mack, I mean she's kinda hot." The other says.

"Hey honey, why don't you come over here and bow down to the king?" The first one calls but I ignore him. "Awe it's so cute when they play hard to get, come on baby." He tries but I stay focused on my magazine. "Hey sweets, I'm talking to ya!" He nearly yells.

"You don't want to ignore Matt here, sweetheart. You're new around here so you don't know how things work, I'll explain. Matt always gets what he wants--"

"And right now I want you to get on your knees for me." Matt states.

"So Matt wants his dick sucked?" I ask and they nod. "Jason, sweetheart why don't you do it? I mean you're already his bitch." I state and Frank laughs.

"You're funny." Jason says through his teeth.

"I am." I state and turn back to my magazine. "Lesson one of being a loud mouth asshole completed?" I ask Frank and he laughs again.

"I say you graduated at top of your class with honours." He admits with a laugh.