Blackout

Nikki

The last time the power went out when I was with Dallas it was definitely a lot more fun than this. I mean it's always fun to sit in a twenty by twenty five box with three football players that you want to knock their perfect teeth down their throat,

Dallas' dad wasn't around and neither was princess. She had this huge science test the next day and she was studying so hard for it. I was just sitting there watching her study, she looked so cute when she was concentrating.

"Sorry, I just want to finish this chapter before we go out." Dallas apologized and I smiled.

"I know this is important to you, you gotta hold your straight A thing." I reminded her and she half smiled.

"It's better than kissing my father's ass." She reminded me and I laughed. "Where are we going again?"

"The movies, Smokey and the Bandit just came out and I heard it was good." I said and she nodded.

"Sounds good." Dallas agreed.

Almost all at once a really bad thunderstorm moved in and shook Seattle. Every time thunder clapped it felt like the earth was splitting. Lightning lit up the sky and every shadow in the house. Before you even realized what was going on the stormed claimed the power and we were knocked into darkness.

Dallas got up from the table and lit a candle so we could kinda see what was going on.

"So much for our date." I laughed and she half smiled before lighting up again.

"I have an idea!" Dallas said and grabbed my hand.

She led me up to the attic at which point she handed me the candle and started to move stuff around. I watched as Dallas laid quilts and blankets with all kinds of pillows. She lit a couple of more candles and put them on filing cabinets and desks. She pulled me down of the quilts and we looked up at the ceiling.

Where the ceiling should've been was a big glass skylight that was being pleated with rain. The thunder seemed to echo more off of old boxes and furniture up here but still had pretty good acoustics. The lightning danced across the sky and lit up the attic more than any number of candles would've.

We laid up there wrapped in each other's arms watching the storm and listening to the rain until we fell asleep. When we woke up again the power was back on.

There's no storm so we're not entirely sure why the power is out but the power is out all the same. Bret and Bobby had set up the ping pong table to play beer pong and have been playing with Matt and Jason. Dallas had decided against playing because Mackenzie thought she'd spent the past four years actually studying and not perfecting her beer pong skills. I think CC and Dakota are trying to iron out their differences. Vince, Tommy, and Mick are trying their best to shoot pool in the dark. Rikki I'm pretty sure is asleep in the back room. Dallas and I were sitting alone at a table but princess and his girlfriend decided to join us.

"You know kiddo, Katherine is going to get her doctorate in psychology. Her focus is families." Mack explains and Dallas nods.

"I loved my psychology classes." My girlfriend tries to relate.

"You say loved, as in past tense. Were they too hard for you?" Katherine wonders.

"They weren't too hard but my field has always been kinesiology." Dallas explains. "If I was going to become a doctor I was going to be a real doctor that could help people."

"Would you say you have a pathological need to help people?" She asks of my girlfriend and Dallas shakes her head.

"I wouldn't say that at all." Dallas assures her.

"Well all I was thinking is that your need to help people could stem from your lack of help at home." Katherine states. "From what Mackenzie tells me about you, you may also have a pathological need for attention, possibly even histrionic personality disorder. It's why you dated that Frank guy while in Seattle and probably why you're dating Nikki now. They give you the attention you were denied by your father."

Dallas is quiet for a minute while she calculates an answer for Katherine. I can see anger and frustration burning inside my tiny girlfriend but Mack doesn't seem to be fazed by it. I tightly my grip around her shoulders and kiss her cheek.

"Breathe, baby." I whisper in her ear and kiss behind it (mainly to piss off Mack).

Dallas takes a deep breath before she starts talking again, she doesn't focus on Katherine this time she focuses on her older brother.

"I know you hated Frank and I realize that you're never going to be fond of any guy I date which I can accept because the girls you bring home and pretentious, pompous, presumptuous, prom queen, bitches that need to have their teeth knocked in. Katherine is no exception to that rule. But don't you dare blame my choice on my daddy issues because I'm over my issues with our dad. I love Frank and I love Nikki and sooner or later you're going to have to accept that." Dallas rants and I smile.

It's the second time she's slipped up and said that she loves me in front of me. I know she loves me and I definitely love her, I mean I have for the past eight years. Dallas just hasn't actually said it when she's not ranting or yelling at me. I know she loves me though.

"I love you too, baby." I say and she looks over to me.

"I do really love you, I have from the minute I laid eyes one you." Dallas smiles and I kiss her lips quickly making her smile broaden.

"You said you love Frank, present tense." Katherine comments. "Are you still in love with another man while dating Nikki?" She half demands and I smile, I nod at Mack and his eyes grow.

"How's it going, princess?" I ask and i see Dallas smile out of the corner of my eye.

"Frank?" He asks and I nod.

"In the flesh." I laugh.

At that exact moment the lights turn back on and the radio erupts with Shout At The Devil. I was right, this was a fun black out.