The Test

This all happened once before except we weren't in a proper position to bring a child into the world. Not because of clashing schedules or world tours but because I was fourteen years old.

Frank and I sat on the end of my bed and waited for a home pregnancy test to time out. We were both silently freaking out but neither of us was going to worry the other. I like to think that Frank was planning an escape route in those three minutes of utter silence.

Frank had previously told me that he'd never in a million years run out on his child, he wasn't going to be like his father. Frank knew that if my father found out he'd kill the both of us. I like to think that Frank was thinking of a way for us to keep our theoretical baby safe. I'm sure he was thinking of his grandparents in Idaho.

Frank always told me that his grandmother, Nona, and his grandfather, Tom, were more of parents to him then his mother was. Every time his mother would get a new boyfriend his mother would ship him off to his grandparents. Nona and Tom always told Frank that no matter what happened back in Idaho, he'd always have a home with them.

From the way he spoke of his grandparents they'd always support him. Even if that meant showing up on their front porch with his fourteen year old pregnant girlfriend. His grandparents would welcome us and feed us, feed us a lot at that.

"Your old man is going to murder me." He muttered and wraps his arm around me. "Don't even get me started on Mackenzie."

"It might be negative." I offered.

"Is it bad that part of me is hoping otherwise?" Frank asked and kissed my nose. "I've always wanted to be a dad and you'd be an amazing mother."

"Frank, baby, I'm fourteen and I'll be fifteen having to give birth. I'm not that big, giving birth might kill me." I said quietly.

"The doctors wouldn't let you die, baby." Frank told me quietly. "If we have a boy we could call him Dallas after his mommy."

"I'd rather name him after you, baby." I admitted and kissed his jaw. "I love you no matter what the test reads."

"I will love you no matter what." He told me and kissed me quickly.

I stood up and walked over to my dresser where the test sat beside the box. I first picked up the box to find out what the reading meant. It was simple enough, two pink lines meant I'm pregnant and one meant I'm not. I took  the test in my hand and only see one pink line, I looked back at Frank and I smiled

"Not pregnant." I told him and he took a deep breath.

"I'm relieved but disappointed." He admitted.

"It'll happen one day and we'll be ready." I promised him and kissed his cheek.

Now we sit on the end of a bed in a hotel room in Rome. There's a piss stick testing my urine for pregnancy hormones. Eleven years after a pregnancy scare when we were still in high school we have another one. Maybe now we're ready, I mean we're in a stable relationship and we have money and we still love each other and we're getting married. In all honesty a baby would complete a stereotypical fairy tale.

Nikki's hand wraps around mine and he kisses my knuckles. I look over to him and he smiles at me.

"I love you no matter what the test says." He tells me and I laugh. "We're ready for it this time."

"I know, I'm still worried though." I admit and kiss him quickly. "I'm worried about giving birth and all that shit."

"You're going to take it like a champ, you're too strong not to." Nikki tells me. "I still say that if there's a boy in there we should name it Dallas."

"I don't." I laugh and he grins.

"If it's a girl we should name her Nikole after you." I say and touch his cheek.

"That's not going to happen." He laughs and kisses me. "I love you so much, Dallas."

"I love you too, Nikki. You're my whole wide world and I can't wait to marry you." I admit.

"Niven months from August, where will that put us?" Nikki wonders and I do a quick count up.

"May, I think." I guess and he smiles.

"A summer baby." He says quietly. "Our baby is going to be perfect." My fiancé mumbles and kisses my neck. "Just like you."

"I hope the baby is perfect like their daddy." I say quietly and kiss his lips. "You're perfect, Nikki." I whisper and wrap my arms around his neck.

I kiss his lips gently and I feel Nikki smile against my lips and he chuckles softly. He pulls me up on his lap and lays back with me on top of him. Nikki starts to push up my shirt but I pull back a little bit. I leave my lips hovering over his and I peck his lips again.

"I'm going to check the pregnancy test." I say quietly and stand up.

Nikki stand up again and slips his hand into my back pocket, he follows me into the bathroom. When I stop at the vanity Nikki hugs me from behind and kisses my neck softly. I look at our reflection in the mirror for a second and smile, I'm the luckiest girl on this planet. My fiancé looks up and catches me watching our refection.

"You're not going to check the test?" He wonders and I smile.

"Just enjoying the moment." I admit and Nikki smiles before kissing my cheek.

I drop my gaze and remember the instructions from the box, one line means not pregnant but two...that means the opposite. I take the test in my hands and i look down at it. Two pure pink lines face me and I smile.

"Babe." I say quietly and Nikki looks over my shoulder and I see him smile out the corner of my eye. "We're going to have a baby."