A New Side of Mackenzie

"There you guys are!" CC calls and Dakota and I look back.

Nikki, CC, and June are all walking over to my cousin and I. Nikki walks up beside me and grabs my hand, he look over to the headstone that I'm standing in front of then the one that Dakota is standing in front of. I'm standing in front of my mom's headstone which reads: Marianne Monroe-Andrews born 1945-1969.

"She was like thirteen when she had Mackenzie." I say and his hand wraps tighter around mine. "Twenty four when she died."

"You miss her?" Nikki asks and I nod.

"It's been fifteen years and every time I'm here I think that she's going to walk down the stairs." I admit. "It's a really weird feeling."

"So what's going to happen to the big house?" He asks.

"Mackenzie is going to use it as a summer house but as Gramps' will says Dakota and I can use the house as much as we want." I explain.

Nikki and I just stand in front of where my mom is buried for a while without talking. Some times there's no words for stuff like this, some times the silence says all that needs to be said. Some times is easier to say nothing and keep emotions locked away, some times your brain can't even fathom the proper words. Both some times the silence is almost deadly.

I can't remember the last time I cried before this, it's been ages. I've never liked crying, it's a sign of weakness and weakness was never excepted in my dad's house. Yet weakness wells up in my eyes and starts to roll down my cheeks. I try to wipe tears away before anyone sees them but when I move Nikki looks over.

"Hey, come here." He says quietly and pulls me closer to him.

I cover my eyes with my hands and Nikki hugs me. He kisses the side of my head and rubs my back.

"I miss them, mom and grandma and gramps." I say quietly.

"I know, baby." Nikki whispers. "Do you want to go back to the house?"

"Yeah." I admit and pull back.

Nikki smiles and kisses my nose before grabbing my hands again. We walk back towards the car with CC, Dakota, and June behind us. Mackenzie is already waiting in the car for us and we all jam into the SUV. Mack drives back to the house and I look out the window.

When I was five and Mackenzie was nine my dad was over in Nam and my mom brought us here to Clayton for the summer. This one time she set up a blanket underneath this oak three that was so tall my five year old brain thought it touched the sky. Grandma and Gramps who were quite a bit younger were tending to the horses with Mackenzie while mom and I sat under the tree reading.

"It's almost time for your nap, baby girl." She told me.

"No mommy." I yawned as I started to lay down on the blanket.

"Yes, baby bug." Mom said and started to play with my hair.

My mom started to hum soft lullabies as I remember feeling myself starting to fall asleep. I remembered trying to fight it but I couldn't. Before I knew it I was deeply lost in dreamland.

Nikki

When we got back to the house both Dallas and Dakota said that they were going to sleep which I was thankful for, Dallas didn't sleep too good the past couple of nights. I wasn't exactly thankful for being alone with CC and Mackenzie but I think I can survive.

I get to see a different side of Mackenzie that I'm watching right now, he's sitting on the floor playing with Barbie dolls. June looks up at him and he smiles at her. This isn't the princess that I knew in Seattle. He looks up and catches me watching him.

"June reminds me of Dallas and Dakota when they were younger, minus the Barbie dolls of course. They were always into toy cars and little army men." He explains with a laugh.

"And now they're into real cars and rock stars." I kinda laugh and he smiles.

"I uh, broke up with Catherine. She didn't want me around Dallas or Dakota, they're the only family I have left I can't not be in their lives." Mackenzie explains. "Dallas loves you but I really don't know why--no offence."

"I really don't know why either." I laugh.

"I told you when we were teenagers but if you break my sisters heart and they'll never find your body." He warns and I smile.

"You don't have to worry about that." I assure him. "I'm going to marry her."

At that moment his expression drops and I didn't even realize what I said before I blurted it out. I mean marrying her is something I've thought about since Dallas came back into my life. I mean I thought about marrying her when we were in high school too. We both talked about going to Los Angeles together, I wanted to be in a band obviously and she talked about going to UCLA just to play rugby. It could've been perfect. When Dallas told me that she had to move again it broke my heart completely and it shattered hers. But now she's back in my life and I don't want to wait another eight years...I'm going to ask her to marry me.

I look back up to meet Mackenzie's eyes and I take a deep breath.

"I love your sister with all of my heart and I have for eight fucking years. I swear to you that I won't hurt her. Can I have your permission to marry your baby sister?" I ask.

Mackenzie is quiet for a long time like he's thinking and June looks up at him before looking at me.

"Uncle Mackie, please? He makes Aunt Dolly happy." June says and I smile.

"Yeah, I know that he makes her happy." Mack admits. "My previous threat still stands but I give you permission to marry Dallas."