For Better Or Worse

Nikki

I can't wait, I really can't. I'm a week and half away from my wedding day and I get to hear my baby's heartbeat today! I'm looking down at cloud nine right now, I'm on top of the world. I'm the luckiest guy on this planet!

Dallas and I walk into the doctors office and my fiancée gets signed in. We sit down in the waiting room and Dallas pushes her glasses up her nose and makes a face at me.

"I make the doctors." She admits and I kiss the side of her head.

"You always have." I remind her.

It was probably late December or early January when Dallas came down with like strep throat. She couldn't talk right and she didn't eat or drink a lot so she was admitted to the hospital. I didn't leave her bedside for any amount of time, which pissed off her brother and father quite a bit.

Dallas tried to tell the nurses and, well, anyone who'd listen that she was perfectly fine and that she could go home. For obvious reasons no one listened to her because she could barley talk and she couldn't stop coughing. Dallas was mad at the world and I'm pretty sure that I was the only one she was talking to.

"Dallas, you've got to listen to the doctors." I told her.

"But I'm fine." She argued with her voice high and hoarse.

"Baby, you're not." I said and she pulled the blanket up to her nose.

Dallas kinda glared at me and she probably killed me in her head a few times. Before she could even start to cuss me out, Dallas started to cough pretty violently and you could tell it was hurting her. I've never seen someone cough so hard it made their eyes water but it happened to Dallas.

"Ow." She mumbled weakly and held her chest. "I'm dying." Dallas coughed.

"You're not dying, baby." I promised her. "I love you."

"How can you love me as a coughing mess?" Dallas wondered and I smiled.

"I'll always love you. For better or worse." I said and she cracked a small smile.

"When did we get married?" She asked with a week laugh and I kissed her forehead.

"One day, I'm just going to follow the promises until then." I explained.

"I love you so much." Dallas told me. "I'm so lucky to have you, Frank."

"I think that I'm the lucky one." I said and kisses her cheek.

"Baby, you're going to get sick if you keep kissing me." She told me and I shook my head.

"I don't care I'm going to kiss my girlfriend if I want to." I said with a laugh and kissed her lips.

I got sick two weeks later but it was worth it. I wasn't as sick as Dallas because I remembered to eat but I couldn't go to school. Dallas got all of our work for a couple days at the time and she stayed in my bedroom with me until I felt better. The two weeks I was sick was when I pulled my grades up the most, mainly because I had the hottest teacher.

Shortly after Dallas gets called back into the ultrasound room. My little fiancée gets set up on the little bed thing. I watch as Dallas squirms around uncomfortably and I squeeze her hands. She forces herself to smile at me and I kiss her lips quickly.

"I love you." I tell her.

"I love you too." Dallas whispers. "Will you love me when I'm fat and screaming at you?"

"For better or worse." I remind her and kiss her cheek.

"We're not married yet, baby." She reminds me and I laugh.

"Oh, my love, but I've been following the promises for years now." I tell her.

The doctor walks in and starts the ultrasound. Dallas squirms around like she's trying to to piss her pants and I'm trying not to laugh. After about ten minutes of the Doctor moving the handheld piece across Dallas' stomach something in the doctor's face changes, she's worried.

"What's wrong?" I ask, not really wanting the answer.

"I can't find the baby's heartbeat." She admits.

Dallas draws in a shaky breath and she squeezes my hands. Tears are welling up in her eyes and she's fighting them.

"That's not possible! There was a heartbeat less than a month ago. I didn't fall or drink or get into a car crash. Why doesn't my baby have a heartbeat?" Dallas asks frantically.

"Some times the chromosomes don't mix properly." The doctor tells us. "I'm so sorry."

So Dallas lost the baby? We were so excited, we wanted the baby. Why the hell did she lose the baby? Dallas has been doing everything right! Nothing about this is fair!

"So does this mean that I can't have kids?" Dallas asks quietly as tears stream down her face.

"No, no, of course not. This just happens some times." The doctor explain and Dallas nods.

The doctor leaves and Dallas gets ready to go. She hasn't been able to look up, she's so insanely interested in her Chuck Taylor's. Dallas is hurting and in pain but she doesn't know how to deal with her emotions. I hug her into me and Dallas' arms wrap around my chest as she starts to sob. I just hold onto my fiancée and let her cry for a while. I kiss the top of her head and hug her tightly.

I'm hurting right now too, I wanted to have this baby too but the baby wasn't grow inside of me. Dallas is always going to have to deal with the fact that she miscarried our first child. I wish I could take this pain away from Dallas, I wish I could make her smile again.

"Do you still love me even though I lost the baby?" Dallas mumbles.

"For better or worse, Dallas." I promise her quietly.

Dallas looks up at me with tears staining her cheeks and her eyes still red behind her glasses. I kiss her lips and put my forehead down on her's.

"Let's go home and drink. Not to the bar, not today." She tells me quietly and I nod.

CC

"Cecil!" Dakota hisses and I look back at her.

"You rang?" I joke and kiss her cheek.

"Stop being cute!" She warns through her teeth and I laugh.

"Uh, okay." I say kinda confused.

"Look." Dakota points.

I follow her finger across the bar to Nikki and Dallas who's are sitting away from everyone a little bit. Dallas is sitting in Nikki's lap and they're talking. Then I notice Dallas raising a bottle of Budweiser to her lips.

"Isn't she supposed to be pregnant?" My fiancée asks and I sigh.

"She never told us that. We were wrong, Dakota. She wasn't pregnant." I tell her and Dakota frowns.

I think my soon to be wife was looking forward to being Auntie Dakota to Nikki and Dallas' baby.