June's Right

Nikki

None of us were expecting to be called at two thirty in the morning by Mackenzie to say that Caroline went into labor. Dakota definitely wasn't expecting to go into labour in the waiting room. In all honesty all of us just want to sleep, well Dallas is.

Dallas is asleep with her chin in her hand on the chair beside me and Tara in her lap, Bobby and June are bothering Bret, Vince and Tommy are playing cards off to the side with Rikki, and I'm pretty sure that Mick is asleep across from me. Both CC and Mackenzie will return every once in a while to get away from their screaming, pregnant wife slash fiancé.

I think it's the first of April or maybe it's still March thirty first, I don't really know anymore. We've been in studio a lot to finish our new album but a new album means tour which means leaving Dallas.

We've been doing this for almost five years and I still hate leaving her. It's been harder ever since Dallas miscarried because we both wanted to be parents so fucking bad and we haven't been having much luck getting pregnant. Dallas forces herself into coaching at UCLA so she doesn't have to deal with her emotions and I push myself into music. I guess we've never actually got over the miscarriage.

June walks over to me and stands in front of me.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping or something?" I ask her and she smiles. "I wish I was sleeping." I admit.

"You know, Aunt Dallas is sad." She tells me. "I don't know why but mommy and daddy say that she's been sad. Tommy says that you've been sad too." June explains and crosses her arms. "I want to know why."

"We're not sad." I say and she glares at me.

"You're lying to me, Uncle Nikki. Did you guys have a big fight after the wedding?" She asks and sits on my lap.

"No." I assure her.

"Do you still love each other?" June asks.

"Of course we do." I promise her.

"Is Aunt Dolly still upset about not being able to play rugby anymore?" She questions.

"Yes but that's not it." I say and her eyes grow.

"So there is something!" June gasps.

"No." I lie and she groans.

"You're arguing with an eight year old, you're not going to win this." She tells me matter of factly. "Does she want a baby and you don't?"

"Definitely not." I say matter of factly.

"So you want to have a baby but she doesn't?" June asks and I shake my head. "Well it has something to do with a baby."

"I can't believe that I'm having this conversation with a second grader." I mutter and she fixes her glasses.

"I'm going into the third grade." She reminds me and I half smile.

"My apologies." I say and she smiles.

"So why are you guys sad?" June asks. "I can keep a secret, I promise."

I look around to see everyone entertained by their own activities and not caring about mine conversation with my niece. I look back at June who is watching me carefully, she's related to Dallas so I know that June isn't going to drop this any time soon.

"Aunt Dolly and I want to have a baby but we haven't been lucky. Aunt Dolly was pregnant for a little while but she miscarried." I explain.

"Like mommy a few years ago?" The little girl wonders and I nod. "So that's why you guys have been sad the past little while?"

"Yeah, that's why." I agree and she frowns.

"Don't worry, Uncle Nikki, bad luck can't last forever."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the best advice I've ever gotten and it was from a second grader. Age isn't always a measure of wisdom.

Dallas

My little nephews share the exact same birthday, April 1st, 1989.

Caroline gave birth to her son at quarter after three in the morning, Austin James Andrews but we're going to call him AJ. He weighed just over eight pound and was about eighteen inches long. He's going to be a ginger like his father which is kinda amusing but he has his mother's blue eyes. Tara is completely smitten with her baby brother and I know that she's going to be a great big sister, she's going to learn from the best big brother.

Dakota didn't give birth as easily as Caroline did, she was rushed into an emergency c section. Now it's seven thirty and Nikki, June, and I are finally allowed to see Dakota and her baby. CC leads us back towards the room that they're keeping her in, June is in her father's arms while Nikki and I walk behind them.

I grab Nikki's hand and he smiles.

"I've got to talk to you about something." I tell him quietly and he pulls his eyebrows together.

"Are you okay?" My husband asks worried and I nod.

"Yeah, I'm okay. We'll talk about it in the car, I don't want to talk away from Dakota's and Caroline's day." I admit and he smiles before kissing my temple.

"As long as you're okay." Nikki tells me and kisses my forehead. "I love you."

"And I love you." I say and he kisses my lips.

"Hey, none of that in front of my son." CC calls back as he opens a door.

Dakota is sitting on the bed with a little blue bundle in her arms, she looks like he's been through hell but holding her son evens everything out. My cousin looks over to me and smiles.

"Hey guys, want to meet your nephew?" She asks quietly and holds him out to me.

My nephew opens his eyes as soon as he gets placed in my arms, they're bright blue like CC's and June's. He makes a little cooing noise before smiling and Nikki hugs me into him so he can get a better look at his nephew.

"He's so cute, baby." Nikki whispers and I smile.

"Want to know his name?" CC asks and we look up. "Dallas Johnathan Deville, we're going to call him DJ."

"We named him after his auntie, the strongest person we know." Dakota smiles and something inside me lights up.

"You named him after me?" I ask and they nod.

Nikki

I've been worried for a little while, since Dallas told me she had to talk to me. Now that we're walking out to my car I can wait any longer.

"Baby, what did you want to talk about?" I wonder and she smiles.

"I'm pregnant, I found out a couple of days ago." Dallas beams. "We're going to have a baby."

I'm overcome with emotions but all I can think about right now is that, June, a fucking second grader, was right!