Rugby Girl

I've played this sport for years and years, I've gotten used to the bruises and the blood but I've never gotten used to ligaments snapping and tearing.

When I was in high school I was on the best team in Australia. Now my high school team is the Australian World Cup team. I know how theses broads play and they know how I play, I'm greatly out numbered by them so it doesn't look good for me.

Nikki

I love watching Dallas play, it's at a stupid hour and I have to be up really early or really late but if it's to watch Dallas that's a small price to pay. She's got such an attitude about her when she pays like she's better than everyone, it's hot. Dallas knows that she's the best and it makes me laugh, it's the same way I act on stage (or so Dallas tells me).

Dallas wears a smirk most of her games, especially when she's winning. It's almost like she's amused by the other team's efforts. When she scores a try her ego damn near doubles and it's great to watch. Dallas may very well be god's gift to rugby and she'll never let anyone forget it.

When you've been with someone a while you start to realize little things you do, like little things that you're not always entirely aware of, slipping into their normal day to day life. Dallas' eyes go wide when she's thinking really hard about someone and Tommy has told me that I do that when I'm song writing. But some of the stuff I do on stage is slipping into Dallas' field performance. I guess in a sense that field is her stage.

Anyways, I'm half awake watching this game and Dallas isn't running through this team as easily as she's been running through the others. Their coach likes to do trick plays where Dallas gets the ball and takes off like a bat out of hell and the other teams have been falling for it. Every time Dallas gets this ball and takes off she's on the ground in the next second. I can tell even through the tv that Dallas is getting frustrated.

Then I catch sight of the team they're playing....Australia. I remember Dallas talking about how her high school team in Australia was the best in the country and that it wouldn't surprise her if those are the people who make up the World Cup team. Her team that she played with for three years is standing between her and placing in the World Cup and they're not going to give it up easily. These girls know all Dallas' moves because your team is your family, this isn't going to end well for Dallas. So if Dallas can't run the ball then the team's chances of winning isn't looking all that good.

Dallas

"Andrews, you have to break through these girls, they're not faster than you." My coach tells me and I groan.

"With all due respect, sir. That's easier said than done." I say. "This was my team in high school, they know all my plays. Someone else needs to run the ball or we're never going to get on the board."

"I know that you can do this, Dallas." He tells me. "Hit the wholes in their defensive line."

The coach continues to preach generic coach bullshit before sending us back on the field. We get lined up and the game starts up again. We run a couple of plays before the ball gets tossed to me again.... Here goes nothing.

I run into the ball and hold in in close to my body. I start as fast as I can weaving in and out of the Australians. I make it past the forwards and I get closer and closer to the try line. Then I'm faced with the fullback, the me of my old team.

I take this tackle very very badly and something snaps. Pain shoots through my knee and I scream (I've never done that on the field before). It's a really weird thing when both teams yell 'Dallas' and rush to my side...I made the try though but I fucked up my knee bad.

Alastair is going to butcher me.

Nikki

I'm woke up again by the phone ringing. I'm in the living room and the tv is on playing sports highlights. I guess I fell asleep watching Dallas' game, I hope she won't be too pissed off at me. Anyways I pick up the phone and answer it.

"Hello?" I yawn.

"Nik, did you see? Have you heard from her? Is she okay?" Mackenzie asks me.

"What? Slow down." I say. "What happened?"

"Dallas, she was stretchered off the field." He tells me and someone inside me shattered.

"Wh-wh-what?" I ask.

My fiancée was stretchered off the field and I was sleeping. She could have a broken neck or knocked herself off. What if Dallas doesn't remember me or she needs six thousand surgeries? I'm never going to forgive myself for missing this one, I don't even know if Dallas will forgive me for this.

"I don't know what's going on but I'm worried about her. Dakota is on a war path." He explains

"Oh god, I can imagine." I admit and glance over to the tv.

The bottom of the screen reads: Update: Dallas Andrews from the US Woman's Rugby Union has suffered a torn ACL, MCL, PCL, and LCL. Out of commission indefinitely.

"What does out of commission indefinitely mean?" I ask Mackenzie, a little scared of the answer.

"It means forever, like they'll never play again." He explains to me. "Why?"

"According to the tv Dallas torn her MCL, PCL, ACL, and LCL. She's out of commission indefinitely." I say but the words her me. "It's going to kill her."

Rugby is my fiancée's life and I can't picture her doing anything else. This has to be killing her. Dallas' career is over and I missed her last game, talk about a shit fiancé.