2. My First Crush

*Edited*

The weekend ended without any word from my new neighbors and I couldn't complain. If I never had to see Elijah again, it would be too soon. Just thinking about him put me in a sour mood. Like right now.

It was Monday morning and my mom had already called from downstairs for me to get ready for school. I'd groaned in response and sleepily got out of bed to take a quick shower. Once I had put on a blue sweater that made my eyes pop with a pair of ripped jeans, I headed downstairs.

My mom, with looks similar to mine, stood at the stove with a frying pan in hand and an apron around her waist. My dad was sitting at the small table in the middle of the room, sipping coffee and reading the newspaper. He set the newspaper down as I sat in the seat across from him.

"Hey sweetie," my mom said as she set a glass of orange juice in front of me. I took a huge gulp, wiping my upper lip afterward, before I spoke.

"Hi mom," I said while yawning. My mom laughed and continued cooking. My dad rolled his eyes knowing that I hated mornings.

"Have you met our neighbors, yet?" He asked. My dad had brown hair and blue eyes that seemed larger than they were underneath his thick glasses. They grew larger when he asked me that question. I sighed.

"Two brothers, my age," I clipped.

My mom spun toward me with mischief in her eyes. "Are they cute?"

I groaned and dropped my head in my hands. "Mom," I complained.

"They are!" She said, excited. "Why don't you invite their whole family over for dinner?"

I shook my head. "Absolutely not. And I haven't met their parents yet."

Before she had the chance to force me into inviting them, I ran out the door and locked myself in my car to drive to school. It was pouring rain outside and in my haste to get out of the house, I hadn't even brought an umbrella. I put the windshield wipers on and drove to school.

The parking lot was pretty empty for the most part since I had left so early. I picked a parking spot close to the school so I wouldn't have to be out in the rain for too long. I parked and turned off my car, pulling my hood up to prepare to make a mad dash across the parking lot into the school.

As I was pulling up my hood, something caught my eye. I squinted out the windshield, but couldn't make out what was leaning against the building in the rain. I slowly got out of my car and once the first drops hit me, I sprinted for the cover of the building.

The pavement was slippery and my feet glided right over the ground. I was so close to the school building when my feet lost purchase and my arms pinwheeled behind me. I was going to fall right in a puddle.

Suddenly, my plunge to the ground stopped and I was suspended in the air. I was huddled against a broad chest with my legs dangling over strong arms. My hood fell off and my eyes met glaring green ones.

"Elijah!" I yelled, "Put me down!"

He narrowed his eyes and tightened his hold on me. I smacked his chest as water droplets fell off his wet hair. With one hand holding me up, he used the other to run a hand through his hair.

I felt him shrug. His eyes had a strange glint in them and I realized why too late.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting in a deep puddle. My jeans were immediately soaked all the way up to the bottom of my sweatshirt. I slammed my hands in the water and threw Elijah the nastiest glare I could muster.

"Did you just drop me in the puddle!"

He looked at me, then at the puddle, then back at me as an answer. He was mocking me. I leaped up and threw myself at Elijah. I hated him.