Bonus: My First Child(ren)

"No shit," Elijah breathed next to me.

Instantly alert, I panicked, "Oh God, what!"

"It's a boy," he responded, refusing to look at me still.

I smacked his arm angrily, ruffling the blue paper nightgown I was wearing when my ring knocked into his arm, making him flinch.

"Ouch," he complained, rubbing the sore spot at the same time as I said, "We knew it was a boy already."

I glanced up to see a look of mischief and amusement etched across the doctor's face as he looked at the screen in front of him. I laid perfectly still in the hospital bed as he gave me an ultrasound.

Elijah's hand tightened around my own and a muscle popped in his jaw, automatically making me think the worst.

So, I yelled, "Will someone please just tell me if my baby is an alien!"

"Not baby," Elijah just barely whispered in utter shock as he looked on the monitor with the doctor.

And for some idiotic reason that I now strongly regretted, I had said that I didn't want to see the screen before the doctor began the ultrasound.

Why? You may ask.

I'll tell you. I have no idea.

Doctor Axl lifted a finger while his lips turned up in a smile. His white hair plopped on his forehead when he swiveled his chair around to fully face me.

"Bab-ies," he said as if he had just uncovered hidden treasure.

Since I had already been thinking irrationally, the stupidest thing spewed from my unfiltered mouth.

"I'm having multiple baby aliens!"

That seemed to finally break my husband out of his daze as the murkiness faded from his eyes, turning them back to their bright green color.

"No," he laughed with a huge smile, "We're having twins."

"Twins!?" I screeched, sitting up and demanding to see the monitor.

Sure enough, when Doctor Axl spun the screen around to face me, I could just barely make out the form of two individual babies.

"Congratulations, there's a boy and a girl," the kind doctor said when wrinkles crinkled the corners of his warm brown eyes as he laughed, scribbling something down on his clipboard.

Still in disbelief, I mumbled a quick, "Thanks", and continued to stare wide-eyed at my two babies.

Elijah affectionately rubbed my shoulder as the doctor left the room to give us privacy.

Leaning down in my ear, he whispered, "Primo and...?"

"Uh," I muttered, still unable to form coherent thoughts.

"I think uh is a great name," he chuckled, sarcastically. I whacked his arm again and turned my attention to his face.

"How do you say 'second' in Italian?" I asked.

"Secondo."

I made a face, scrunching my nose and drawing my eyebrows together as I refuted, "Scratch that. I'll just choose."

Elijah smirked and gestured for me to come up with a name.

"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to come up with a name right here, right now. I need to look at baby books or websites."

He rolled his eyes and said, "I can come up with a few names off the top of my head, so you can, too."

"Fine. Hit me with your best shot," I challenged.

Faster than I had been prepared for, Elijah rapidly fired out a ton of girl names, making it impossible for me to process each one of them.

So, I settled for holding up a hand after he had named at least ten girl names.

"Hold up. I can barely concentrate as it is and you think I could follow all of that? Oh hell to the no," I said.

"Language, honey. You don't want our children to learn curse words," he scolded, patting my stomach.

"You swear all the time. Don't act so innocent. And our children are going to be amazing kids. Do you honestly think they'll be anything like us when we dated in high school?" I prompted.

Elijah thought about that question for a moment before answering honestly, "If we're lucky, then no."

"I know they'll be better behaved than us. We will teach them when they're young and whatnot, you know?"

He nodded his head in understanding of what I was saying.

We were right about one of our children being a sweet, innocent, loving, smart kid like we taught her to be. The other one, however, took a turn for the worst when, ah nevermind.

That was a story for another day, am I right? Because for now, we had a second baby to name.

"How about Lily?" I asked as the name suddenly sprang into my mind. I hadn't even known where it had come from.

Elijah lifted a finger to his chin and pondered about it as his eyes swirled in happiness.

"Lilliana," he said.

My face lit up as I enthusiastically clapped my hands. "Yes! That's perfect!"

Elijah bent down, pressing a firm kiss to my lips as his hand gently pressed against my stomach.

"Primo and Lilliana," he said against my lips.

A sudden thought occurred to me and I froze. Elijah pulled back in concern, eyebrows narrowing on me as he asked, "What's wrong?"

"What if Primo is born second?"

"Then he's born second. What's the big deal?" He asked, not understanding what I was getting at.

"His name literally means 'first' so he has to be born before Lilliana. I refuse to call him Secondo," I said.

"Jeez, Ronnie. I thought something had happened," he said, sighing in relief, "Don't worry about it now. We can still call him Primo since he was our first child we found out about."

"Oh, okay."

I needn't have worried; Primo was born first with his sister following only minutes later. They both were healthy babies and I could already see the striking resemblance in their features, but I could also make out their differences.

Especially since Primo's eyes matched his father's and Lilliana's matched my own.

Other than that, it was too early to really make out any other differences.

But, soon enough we would come to find far more differences between the two of them than similarities.

***********

Primo has a twin sister! (I actually have a twin sister in real life, too. Haha!)

For those of you who are reading the second book, "Stolen Bad Times," you will meet her soon.

For those of you who have not read it, then what are you waiting for!

Just kidding, no pressure. Please feel free to check it out when you have the time. Thanks! :)