42. My First Time Running a Marathon

*Edited*

After the words left Elijah's mouth, he slid out of his car and jogged to the front door, yanking it open. I was afraid he was going to tear it clean off its hinges.

Shaking my head, I decided to follow him inside his house. What I saw next made me instantly regret coming inside.

The air inside the living room was thick with tension as Zachariah Reed sat with his ankles crossed on one couch, while his ex wife sat with Joshua Pratt, her fiancé, on the one opposite him. Elijah stood with his fists clenched by his sides just at the entrance of the room.

Allison Clyde and her younger brother, Quinn, were standing beside the couch with Elijah's mother and her fiancé.

What the hell was going on here?

I hadn't realized I'd voiced my thoughts out loud until six pairs of eyes flew to mine. I side stepped behind Elijah as I sheepishly peeked out from under his cover. I gave a quick wave and ducked behind him.

"She's right," Elijah surprised me by saying. "What is going on?"

His mother was the first to speak. She tucked her dark hair behind her ear and said, "We were discussing the wedding."

"No shit," Elijah said, angrily. "Why are they here?"

Elijah's mother turned to look at Allison and Quinn before answering, "We've been over this already, honey. Allison and Quinn are Joshua's children and should know everything that is going on, just like you."

Woah, now that she made that clear, I was able to see the similarities between Allison, Quinn, and Joshua. Joshua's blonde hair was just a shade lighter than his children's strawberry blonde hair and they all had matching hazel eyes, but Joshua's were a slightly darker brown color.

"Uh," I interrupted, realizing something as I raised a finger in the air, "Why is their last name Clyde, but Joshua's last name is Pratt?"

Joshua answered me this time when I decided to stop hiding and stand next to Elijah. "They chose their mother's maiden name when she-"

"Don't tell her. She has no business in this," Allison cut him off with her pissy attitude.

Quinn laid a gentle hand on his sister's arm, affectionately. He gave me a small smile with sad eyes and said, "It's okay. Our mother passed away ten years ago from a sudden heart attack."

"Oh, I didn't know. I'm so sorry," I said, lamely. Quinn shrugged and squeezed his sister's shoulder when she continued to glare at me.

Wait a second. If Elijah's mother was going to marry Allison's father, then that would make them step-siblings.

Another sudden thought occurred to me. Elijah hadn't been surprised when his mother had said they were Joshua's children which meant that he had known and didn't tell me.

But then again, why had Allison been all over him at the college fair just a few hours ago if they both knew they were bound to be siblings soon?

And I'd also completely forgotten all about that when I had made out with Elijah in his car. I'd have to have a word, or two, with him later on.

Zachariah cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. "Let's skip the formalities, shall we?" He voiced and then got right to the point by saying, "It's time to talk about why you're all here."

Elijah stiffened as he readied himself for the inevitable. I didn't dare try to comfort him, recalling how he had been infatuated with Allison not so long ago.