28. My First Choice - Part 2

*Edited*

I sat there, frozen as a statue, just staring at the two boys who made me feel things I've never felt before.

"I-I...I can't choose!" I exclaimed.

Elijah narrowed his eyes on me. "Why not? If I'm not mistaken, you came over in my bedroom because you were going to admit you had fallen in love with me."

Uriah's eyes flashed to mine. "Is that true?"

I didn't know what to say. I felt terrible. Uriah took my silence as an answer. He raked a hand through his brown hair and sighed in resignation.

"Damn," he cursed.

I stood up on Elijah's bed, wrinkling the sheets under my feet as I jumped off.

"I'm sorry, you guys are asking me do to something that I just can't do. You need to give me time to process all of this. Uriah," I said, looking at him, "You came back for me and I don't know how I feel about that. I can say that I didn't expect to feel how I do right now."

Then I turned to Elijah. "As for you, we have a rocky past and an even bumpier relationship. Whenever I'm around you, I feel like something is going to expload," I said, holding up a hand so he wouldn't interrupt me as I continued, "But, I don't know if that's a bad thing."

More silence followed my brief speech. I decided to take that as my queue to leave. So, I hopped up on the windowsill right across from my room and leaped across the small space separating our houses, far easier than I had thought I'd be able to.

I pulled my window down, catching a glimpse of the brothers glaring at each other. This wasn't good.

And I honestly had no idea where my heart was. My mind knew the obvious, safe choice was the boy with warm, brown eyes. But, my heart had other ideas when it came to the boy with the green ones.

*********

"No way! You cannot leave us to go live with you ex boyfriend halfway across the country. You haven't even graduated high school yet!" My mom freaked out.

My dad paused with the fork halfway to his mouth. He put it down in his plate and nodded, agreeing with my mom. Hell, I knew this would be their reaction, so why had I even bothered?

"Your mother's right. You're staying right here, young lady," he said giving me "the look" that dared me to argue.

I knew better than to argue with my dad, so I hung my head as I said, "Okay. I understand."

Well, Uriah's offer was out of the question. Did that mean Uriah was out of the question as well?

He'd have to go back to his father's apartment eventually, with or without me. Yet, Elijah would still be here, living right next to me.

I shouldn't be stressing Uriah out when he should be focused on college and getting to know his biological father. I dropped my fork, suddenly not hungry for my half eaten steak.

I dabbed my mouth with a napkin before excusing myself from dinner. My mom gave me a weird look and my dad just shrugged, but neither of them questioned me as I got up and placed my plate in the sink.

I sprawled across my bed with my legs dangling off the edge. I thought about calling Mae about this, but thought otherwise when I realized she might still actually like Elijah even after what he did to her. It wouldn't be fair if I pinned this on her.

And I had no other friends left to talk to. I'd been unconsciously staring out my open window while I was thinking, so when a handsome, shirtless guy entered the room across from mine, I couldn't stop staring.