41. My First M&M

*Edited*

"What kind of question is that!" I exploded, fuming in anger. I felt my hands clench into fists as I glared at Elijah.

He arrogantly shrugged and leaned against the wall of the cafeteria before answering, "Usually when someone avoids their boyfriend for over a month, it means that they no longer feel attracted to them."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Eli. Don't place all the blame on me when you also ignored me. I should be asking you the same questions you're interrogating me about."

"Fair enough."

"You're so infuriating! I just-"

"Hey," a flirtatious voice interrupted me. I threw my wild eyes to the girl who slinked her arm around Elijah's waist and nuzzled his neck all the while his eyes stayed on me.

"Hey, you," he mumbled, wrapping an arm around Allison. My jaw hit the floor at their interaction and I felt my face flush. Just loud enough for me to hear, Elijah whispered, "I was in the middle of a conversation with my girlfriend, if you don't mind."

For the first time, Allison and I agreed on something. And that was the fact that Elijah Reed was truly a confusing person which was obvious by the similar expressions of shock on our faces.

And we were both stunned for the very same reason; Elijah had called me his girlfriend when I was pretty sure we had broken up.

Then he slid his arm out from around her, grabbed my wrist, and dragged me out of the cafeteria, leaving Allison to gawk at us until we were out of sight.

Elijah stalked down the long hallway before stopping abruptly at the double doors. I walked right into his back, stumbling back a step as I regained my balance.

"My mother's wedding is tomorrow. All summer I've been trying to convince my father to talk to her. I visited her almost everyday to have her rethink her decision of marrying her fiancé."

Well, shit. I was at a loss for words. I clamped my lips shut to keep from saying anything stupid.

"My father isn't the same man and my mother had the audacity to invite him to the wedding. Uriah was invited, too, but he kindly declined saying that he had a major exam that day."

I took a hesitant step forward and raised my hand about to lay it on his arm to let him know I was here for him. When I was just about to touch him, I stopped and let my hand drop back to my side. That whole lie about experimenting on me was just an excuse; he had been hiding this story from me.

He took a shuddering breath, making his shoulders tremble as he kept his back to me. I stared at his black t-shirt, not knowing what I should do. I so did not have experience with comforting people and I definitely wasn't good at it.

Which was why I said, "Oh, you know what they say about marriage. It only lasts if the husband gets down on one knee and the wife is willing to get down on two," and cringed after the words left my mouth.

Elijah laughed without emotion and shook his head, finally turning to face me. My eyes widened when I saw tears on the brim of his eyelids.

"I was more involved in her relationship than in mine. By now, I've given you a million and one reasons to break up with me. I'm an asshole, a jerk, a douche, and I don't deserve you. Yet, you've given me a million and two chances," he said, rendering me speechless as he wrapped his arms around my neck and tucked me against his broad body.