22. My First Time on a Ferris Wheel

*Edited*

"Hello, Mrs. Fray," I heard a deep voice rumble from downstairs, "I was wondering if your daughter was home?"

I froze. I knew that voice, perhaps better than I wanted to admit.

"Veronica! Come downstairs! Elijah's here to see you!" My mom yelled.

"I'm not home!" I yelled back. Yeah, I knew full well that that gave me away, but I didn't care.

Elijah had been saying these corny pick up lines to me ever since our bet and I knew there was no actual meaning behind his words.

And I didn't know how I felt about that.

After we had finished gardening, Elijah had gone back home to help Uriah pack up his belongings. I still hadn't been able to bring myself to say goodbye to him even though he would be leaving shorty.

"Veronica..." My mother warned. I knew not to disobey her when she used that tone, so I quickly hurried downstairs to where she was standing at the front door with a certain green eyed boy who I hated.

Elijah winked at me and I rolled my eyes. My mom looked between us with a glint in her eyes before she walked away, leaving us alone.

I raised an eyebrow at him to where he was standing on my porch. He hitched a thumb over his shoulder and said, "Uriah is leaving in a few minutes, by the way."

What? That soon?

I impatiently shoved Elijah out of the way as I sprinted over to his yard where Uriah was loading his white BMW with a huge suitcase.

"Uriah!" I yelled, making him turn around. His eyes widened as I squeezed my arms around him. His arms circled around my small frame and he hugged me back. I stepped back with tears in my eyes as I said, "Have a great time with your dad and good luck in college. I'll miss you."

Uriah gave me a sad smile as he tucked strands of my hair behind my ears. "I'll miss you, too. We can text all the time so the distance doesn't seem so far."

I nodded. "Yeah."

He intertwined my fingers with his and he said, "I told Elijah to look out for you since I won't be able to."

"Great..." I grumbled, making him chuckle.

"Elijah's a good guy. You just have to get to know him," he said, fondly.

"Mhm, that's what they all say."

Uriah laughed again, shaking his head. His dimples that I would soon miss disappeared as he checked the time on his watch. "I've got to get going now," he said.

"Oh, okay," I said, releasing his hand. He gave me one last hug before he got in his car and slowly backed out the driveway. He waved out the window with a smile on his face and I waved back until I could no longer see him.

A hand clamped down on my shoulder and a husky voice whispered in my ear.

"And then there were two."

I plucked Elijah's hand off of me and plopped down on the grass in his front yard. I sighed and laid on my back, staring straight up at the cloudy sky.

"Hey look," Elijah said, pointing at the sky while he laid next to me, "That cloud is shaped like a heart."

I looked in the direction of his finger and noticed that he was right. It was a small cloud, but it looked like a heart, nonetheless.

He nudged me and said, "Coincidence? I think not."

"There you go again with your cheesy words," I said, rolling over on my side to face him. He did the same, resting on his elbow as he looked down at me. I poked him in the chest and muttered, "I know why you're saying all this mushy stuff. You're trying to be romantic to win my heart and my poster. Well, I'll have you know that I will be the winner of your car."