13. My First Double Date

*Edited*

My parents were less than happy to find out that I had been fired my first day on the job. Maybe they realized I wasn't ready for a job yet or something, but whatever the reason was, they weren't pressuring me to find a new job.

I was grabbing my lunch out of my locker the next day when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around, shutting my locker as I found Mae standing there, shyly twisting her hands together.

"Hi Mae!" I asked, "Do you want to walk to lunch with me?"

Mae smiled sweetly and said, "Of course, but I have something to tell you first."

"Oh, what is it?" I raised my eyebrows, wondering what she wanted to say.

"Well, last night I was studying for a chemistry exam and I got a text from an unknown number asking about what the test would be on, so I responded back with the topics and asked who's number it was," she said all in one breath. I had to replay everything she had just said so I wouldn't be confused.

"So who was it?" I couldn't understand why she was so excited about this. It was probably just someone from her class who needed help.

"Elijah," she said with a huge grin. "He also asked me out."

Aw, that was nice. Mae had gotten asked out. I joined in with Mae as she jumped up and down, clapping her hands.

Wait, what? Elijah asked Mae out? I thought he was going out with Bianca or whatever it was that he was doing with her. So what was he doing with Mae?

I stopped jumping and Mae frowned. "What's wrong?" She asked.

I held up a hand. "Wait, just to be clear, you said Elijah asked you out? As in the Elijah who danced with you and then made out with Bianca just minutes later?" I asked, recalling the after prom party at the bitchy cheerleader's house.

She nodded enthusiastically. "He apologized for that and said he doesn't actually like Bianca. Apparently, she forced herself on him and that's when you walked in."

Yeah, right. I highly doubted that, but I wasn't about to say anything.

"So...you guys are officially dating?" I asked, almost dreading the answer. I really didn't want Mae to get hurt. Elijah wouldn't hesitate about taking her heart in his hand and then crushing it.

"Yep! We talked over the phone and he said we had great 'chemistry' together," she said, putting finger quotes around the word chemistry. "Get it? Because we have chemistry class together?"

Ha ha. What a funny guy. Not. I was going to have to have a word with him.

"Mhm," I said, not knowing what else to say. I tucked my blond hair behind my ear and bent down to scoop up my textbooks, juggling them along with my lunch. We stopped at Mae's locker so she could grab her lunch and supplies for her next class which just so happened to be chemistry.

Coincidence? I think not.

Mae and I walked into the cafeteria and took a seat at the table I usually sat at alone, but ever since I became closer with Uriah, he's joined me. Now Mae was a new addition to my once lonely table. She sat down across from me and opened her lunch as I did the same.

An arm wrapped around my shoulders and a faint smell of cologne wafted in my nose. I tilted my head up to see Uriah already smiling down at me. He kissed my nose, making me blush as he said, "Hey, Veronica. How was your first day at work?"

I dropped my gaze to my hands. I poked my pointer fingers together and said, "Well..."

"That bad, huh?" He asked. I felt him shake against me and realized he was laughing.