8. My First Homecoming Dance

*Edited*

Uriah came over as soon as Elijah left after leaving me to think about what he had muttered under his breath. It confused me so much that I just chose to forget about it.

Butterflies fluttered around nervously in my stomach as Uriah climbed up the steps to my front door. I held the door open for him as he entered my house and I turned to him shyly after shutting the door.

His nimble fingers came up under my chin, lifting my head up so I was looking directly in his eyes. His gaze was intense as he looked at me.

"You look beautiful, Veronica," he said, giving me one of his famous smiles with the dimples. I blushed and said, "Thanks. You look good, too." And he really did. Uriah had his brown hair slicked back so I could clearly see his brown eyes. He wore an expensive dress shirt, similar to the one Elijah had been wearing, but he had actually buttoned the collar.

My mom came in a few minutes later, busily taking a thousand pictures of us. I rolled my eyes and groaned so many times, but it seemed like Uriah didn't mind at all. He had a huge smile on his face the entire time and laughed each time I made an annoyed sound in the back of my throat.

"Alright, you kids go have fun," my mom said. She held up a finger and continued. "And no smoke, drinking, or-"

I held up my hand. "I got it, Mom. Thanks!" I yanked Uriah out the door and quickly shut it behind us. I practically held onto his arm for dear life as I walked down the steep driveway in high heels. I slipped a few times and he would adjust his grip on me to make sure I didn't fall flat on my face.

Uriah carefully helped me in his car before getting into the driver's side. I looked at the radio to see what time it was. 7:30. The dance would start in about thirty minutes and took about half that time to get to the school.

Since our town was so small and all, the homecoming dance would be in the cafeteria. The teachers and staff had stayed after school today to help prepare the decorations for the occasion.

I bounced my legs up and down in the car as Uriah drove. He looked over at me with a smile of amusement.

"Don't tell me you're nervous," he said. I stopped bouncing my legs and waved my hand in the air, trying to play it off. "Pfft, no. I'm just excited," I replied. He chuckled and turned on the radio.

I instantly perked up when I heard what song he had put on. Do it Now, Remember it Later by Sleeping With Sirens blasted through the speakers. Uriah's hand hit a button on the radio and the song changed to some pop song that I didn't recognize.

"Sorry about that. My brother likes that kind of stuff and I'm forced to listen to it whenever he's in the car with me," he said.

Ugh. Elijah would like the same type of punk rock music that I listened to. I didn't want to have anything in common with that jerk.

I forced a laugh. "It's alright."

We arrived at the school to find the parking lot already packed. Uriah drove the car around a few times until he found an empty spot near the back. He opened the car door for me and held my hand as we walked to the school where a long line of students were shivering in the cold. Noticing my shiver, Uriah wrapped his arm around my shoulders, tucking me against his side for warmth.

His body scorched mine where we touched. I was no longer cold and I was pretty sure my red face was there as proof.

Ten minutes later, we were allowed to enter the school. When we reached the cafeteria, my jaw dropped. The staff had done such a great job transforming the cafeteria that I could hardly recognize it. Colorful strobe lights pulsed to the beat of the loud music blasting from huge speakers around a DJ who was bobbing his head up and down. Students packed together in front of the DJ to dance.