30. Our First Time Visiting Mrs...Reed

*Edited*

I tossed Elijah the keys that I had, uh, borrowed for his car and we climbed from my window into his bedroom so my mother wouldn't see us. I'd yelled to her that I was going out to study at the library, even though I never studied, so I was lucky she bought the excuse.

Elijah brought me out into the hall where we passed by his father's empty room. When we reached Uriah's room, I paused. Elijah gave me a look and I sighed. Uriah must've heard us outside his door because the next thing I knew, the door was swept open and Uriah was standing there.

He surprised me by giving me a dazzling smile, displaying his dimples. I felt my legs go weak, remembering how much that smile used to affect me. Elijah possessively laid a hand on my shoulder and tried to turn my body around.

"Where are you guys going?" Uriah asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"Nowhere," Elijah responded, curtly.

Uriah knew his brother was lying, but just smiled and shrugged. "Okay, have fun," he said, giving me one last look as he shut the door.

Elijah quickly forced me down the stairs. Once we reached the bottom, he turned to me as his eyes darkened.

"What was that all about?" He hissed.

"What was what all about?"

He rolled his eyes and backed me up against the wall. I gulped when he placed his hands on the wall on either side of my body and leaned close to my face, trapping me.

"You still like him, don't you?" He growled.

I laid my hands flat against his chest, but didn't try to move him. Instead, I gripped his shirt tightly in my fists as I forced my eyes to his and held his gaze steadily.

"No," I said, honestly. "Even while we had been dating, you had been lurking at the back of my mind."

Elijah smirked and before I knew what was happening, he had scooped me in his arms and strode out the front door with me giggling like an idiot. He swiftly opened his car door with one hand that had been parked in my driveway, and gently placed me inside before shutting the door and getting in the driver's seat.

As he was buckling himself in, I couldn't help but stare. He really was too hot for his own good. Even though he had an ego the size of an elephant, it could never really outweigh just how attractive he was.

"Ronnie, keep staring at me like that and you'll make me want to do things to you that I've never done before," he said, turning on the ignition.

My cheeks flamed in embarrassment at being caught staring. I tried to play it off by saying, "Pfft. I wasn't staring, don't flatter yourself."

"Mhm," he mumbled, backing out of my driveway.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked, picking at my nails.

"To see my mother."

I froze. He has never said anything about his mother before and now we were going to see her? I'd never even asked Uriah about his adoptive mother before. I figured it was best if I didn't intrude on their personal information.

"Uh," I said, awkwardly, "Where does she live?"

He nervously tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove in the darkness and bit his lip before answering.

"In my old town. I haven't spoken or even visited her since my father, Uriah, and I moved away, leaving her our house when they...divorced."

Oh. I didn't even know what to say. I couldn't empathize with him; I had two parents who loved each other.