45. My First Marriage Proposal - Part 2

*Edited*

*Elijah's POV*

Veronica shoved me away from her and yelled, "What are you doing?"

I gave her a blank look and hitched an eyebrow. "What did it look like?"

She furiously shook her head with a faint pink color tinged on her cheeks. She took a few steps away, stepping inside her room and said, "I can't do this with you. I feel like we always have this conversation."

She was right; we always did have this conversation because I knew exactly what she was thinking.

One second, I was deeply in love with her and the next, I gave her the cold shoulder.

Veronica and I always argued. It seemed like we couldn't go longer than a month of civilization between us. We've even broken up in the past because of my attitude.

And each time we had an argument, I apologized and gave an excuse for why I had behaved in the way that I had.

Yet, she had never once apologized to me about it.

And that's because she was never at fault. I was always the one in wrong.

No one can fix me if I'm part of the problem.

"Ronnie," I warned, making her back stiffen as it was faced toward me. I strode right up to her tiny frame and leaned down, whispering in her ear as my lips grazed her jaw.

"Have I ever really explained myself to you?"

Goosebumps rose on her arms and I smirked, enjoying what I did to her.

"No," she snapped, "You confuse me way too much that I'd rather just have you leave me the hell alone."

Ouch.

"No can do," I said, slipping my hands under her armpits.

She squirmed in my embrace, cursing me the entire time I lead us to the only bed with sheets on it. I dropped her on the purple bedding and she bounced a few times before settling down, glaring up with me with huge, clear eyes.

Her bottom lip frowned in a pout and she angrily crossed her arms over her chest. Without giving her the chance to speak, I shut the door and sat down beside her on the bed, careful not to touch her.

I mimicked the way she was sitting with her legs criss-crossed applesauce and faced her so our knees were just centimeters apart.

And then I told her everything.

I told Veronica about the wedding between my mother and her fiancé, Allison's father. I told her I had been using Allison to help stop the wedding since I knew how she felt about me.

Veronica snickered at that, but still didn't look like she believed me.

So, I told her about my jealousy and how I could never be who she deserved. I kept my eyes intently on hers as I spoke to show her I was being sincere for once.

When I was finished, she just stared at me.

"And?" She prompted.