10. My First Encounter Narrowly Escaping Death

*Edited*

Mae leaped out of Elijah's arms as Bianca came storming in the room. Everyone stopped dancing to watch what all the commotion was about when Bitchy Bianca strode right up to my neighbor.

She raised her hand and swung it in a high arc over her head before Elijah could react. His eyes widened as her palm connected with his cheek, knocking his head sideways forcefully. The sound of the smack echoed through the room and the guests heaved a collective gasp. I stood frozen as Mae looked like she was about to cry.

Elijah slowly brought his head back around, flipping the hair out of his eyes that had fallen when his head had been whipped to the side. A dark red splotch was already forming on his cheek. The intensity in his green eyes made Bianca falter. To say he was pissed was an understatement.

Mae scrambled over to my side, almost cowering behind me. Uriah looked ready to step in between his brother and Bianca, but he didn't know if he should.

"I was dancing," Elijah said low in his throat.

Bianca crossed her arms over her chest in a show of nonchalance even though I knew she was nervous. "With that freak?" She yelled, pointing over at Mae.

Mae gawked and sprinted out of the room. I gave Uriah a helpless look and dashed out after her. I couldn't hear what else was going on in the living room, but right now I didn't care. I just wanted to make sure Mae was okay.

Which I knew she wasn't.

I found her crying in the bathroom, sitting in a ball on the toilet. She had shut the lid and sat on top of it, folding her legs and burying her face in her hands. I stopped beside the toilet and placed a hand on her shoulder.

I was so not good at comforting people. Like I said, I've never really had friends before so this was all new to me. I stood there awkwardly while Mae cried silent tears.

"Don't listen to Bianca. She's just jealous-"

Mae shook her head, finally looking up at me. Her makeup was running down her face and I was scared it was going to ruin her dress. I shut the door behind me and yanked a bunch of toilet paper off the roll and handed it to her.

She wiped under her eyes and said, "It's okay, Veronica. You don't have to make me feel better. There's nothing really to say."

I sighed and sat down across from her on the ledge of the bathtub. "No, it's not okay. What Bianca said was so wrong. I'm not letting her get away with this," I said, standing back up.

Mae looked up at me and held out both of her hands, waving them. "Woah, woah. What are you doing?" She asked.

I placed my hand on the doorknob and grinned at her when I said, "Something that I've been wanting to do for a while."

I opened the door as she said, "Veronica, I don't think that's a very good idea..."

I gave her a giant thumbs up. "I know." Then I shut the door and found Uriah standing out in the hallway who asked, "How is she?"

I said, "She's upset, but she'll be okay. Can you go in there with her and talk to her, though?" Uriah nodded, his brown eyes full of concern and went in the bathroom. Then I kept my head up high as I walked through the house with purpose.

I found my target where I had left her in the living room. I had expected her to be arguing with Elijah still, so when I saw the two of them on the couch making out, I froze.

What the hell? They had been ready to tear each other's throats out only a couple minutes ago and now they were making out. Talk about disgusting. Bleh.