14. My First Time Ditching Class With a Boy

*Edited*

Uriah raised his eyebrows at us when Elijah and I sat back down at the table. Mae looked between the two of us, worried about what had happened just now.

My smile was strained as I said, "We're back."

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, our waiter came over to take our order for drinks. We told him that we were ready to order our dinner as well even though I had hardly been able to look through the menu.

Elijah and Mae ordered first and then the waiter turned to me.

"Uh, I'll have whatever he gets," I said, gesturing at Uriah. He pointed at the menu and told the waiter, "I'll have this."

Shit. I had forgotten Uriah liked spicy food. He ordered a burger with jalapeño peppers and a side of seasoned french fries. Before I could change my order, the waiter collected our menus and said he would be right back with our drinks.

I'd have to make sure to save my drink for when I really needed it. I couldn't handle spicy food that well.

"What new classes do you have tomorrow since a new semester is beginning?" Mae asked Elijah.

I groaned. "Ugh, I forgot our schedules changed tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm in a cooking class like fourth period."

"Nice, do you like cooking?" Uriah asked me. I shook my head, "No. I just took the class to fill my schedule. I didn't know what else to take."

Uriah laughed. "I'm taking a financial planning class seventh period. I heard it's an easy A."

The obnoxious boy sitting next to me cleared his throat. "I have an art class sixth period," he said, only looking at Mae.

"No way! So do I!" She said, bouncing in her seat which made her hair bob up and down.

"I was also planning on taking another class, but now I think I might drop it," he said, shrugging.

"Why? What class is it?" Mae asked.

"Cooking. Fourth period."

"Oh hell no," I said, "Math and history class with you together in one day is enough torture for me. I don't need you in my cooking class as well. You have to drop it."

He rubbed his chin as if deep in thought. "Hmm, now that you say that, I realized that if I don't take that class, then I won't have enough credits to graduate junior year since I started so late in the year. Why don't you drop it?"

"I can't. That's literally the only class that will fit in my schedule."

Elijah and I stared at each other for a while, not daring to be the first to look away. "I knew it," Elijah said, narrowing his eyes.

"What?" I asked as the waiter came back with our drinks. Elijah waited for him to hand them out before continuing.

"You're going to poison my food in that class," he said as I took a sip of my soda.

"Trust me, I have better ways to kill you than that." I turned away from him and focused on Uriah. He raised an eyebrow at me and shook his head, chuckling to himself.