12. My First Job

*Edited*

When I got home after school, I immediately collapsed on the couch. It had been a long day and I couldn't wait until it was over.

I shut my eyes, thinking I could squeeze in a couple minutes of sleep before I had to start homework.

I should've known that that was impossible in my house. The sound of my parents' footsteps in the living room had me cracking an eye open. They each took a seat on the couch opposite mine and gave me a stern look.

My mom took a deep breath and said, "Your dad and I have been talking and..."

"Oh God, please don't tell me this is another one of your 'life lessons' because I was really enjoying that nap," I groaned.

My dad gave me the look and I shut up. I sat up and raised my eyebrows at my parents.

"We've noticed how much time you spend on your computer or whatever it is that you do up in your room, so we decided that you should get a job," my father said.

I sat there, gawking at them for a full minute before I found my voice. "Are you serious?"

My parents looked at each other, then back at me. My mother nodded. "You can do anything you want with the money you earn. It's unhealthy the amount of time you spend holed up in your room all day."

"Ugh! Fine!" I said, storming up to my room. I couldn't believe my parents were making me get a job. A job! I was so clumsy all the time, I had no idea how I was supposed to function properly if I had a job.

I crashed onto my bed and pulled my cellphone out of the pocket of my red skinny jeans. I dialed Uriah's number and pressed the phone against my ear while it rang.

"Veronica? What's up?" He asked, making me instantly relax once I heard the sound of his voice.

I played with the frayed edge of my sweatshirt as I answered him. "Hey, Uriah. Get this: my parents are making me get a freaking job."

"Don't worry, it's not like that's the end of the world-"

"But it is!" I whined.

Uriah laughed. "You'll be fine. It's not that bad having a job. I've worked at grocery stores a few times in the past before moving here and it was fine. I heard Starbucks is like the only place hiring around here, though which is why I don't have a job at the moment."

I made a face even though he couldn't see it. "Ew, Starbucks. I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to make any of the drinks," I said, making Uriah laugh again.

"You'll learn. Plus, they'll teach you. Maybe you can just work the cash register and take customers' orders instead of actually making their orders."

He had a point there. "Oh! That's so true. Thank you so much for making me feel better. I'm going to apply right now!" I said.

"Alright. Good luck, Veronica," he said and we hung up.

Uriah just made me feel so much better about getting a job. I leaped off my bed and went over to my desk where I sat down in my comfy computer chair. I typed Starbucks into Google and pressed search. I clicked on the website and found an online application which I filled out the best I could. I hoped it would be good enough to get me hired. With the thought of getting a job swirling around in my head, I fell asleep at my laptop.