6. My First Prank

*Edited*

My mother ushered us into the dining room where she had set up six chairs around our large table that we ate at once or twice a year. Fancy dishes and silverware sat on top of placemats around the table. In the center was my mom's famous lasagna.

My dad took a seat at the head of the table as Mr. Reed took the opposite side. My mom sat next to my dad and I sat across from her. Uriah and Elijah followed into the room, each taking a seat beside their father.

And of course, Elijah chose to sit next to me. Uriah gave me an apologetic look from where he was sitting next to my mom. I shot him a helpless look. Elijah watched our exchange with a strange glint in his eyes.

"Let us say grace for this wonderful meal," my father said as he grasped my mother's hand in his. She nodded, reaching for Uriah's hand. I took my father's hand in mine and laid my other hand in my lap.

A warm hand firmly grasped mine under the table and squeezed. I squeezed back harder, hoping I could inflict some pain on Elijah. I glanced up to see his reaction, but he had his head bent with his eyes closed, hair hanging in his face. I looked around the table to see everyone doing the same.

"Thank you for this meal and a great night," my father said.

I bent my head, closed my eyes and said, "Amen," with the rest of the table.

I immediately snatched my hand away from Elijah's, hitting my full glass of water. My mouth dropped open as the entire contents of it spilled.

Right into Elijah's lap.

"Oh dear, Veronica. Hurry, get some napkins," my mom said, rapidly handing me some napkins.

I quickly dried the table and dumped a pile of the napkins on Elijah's pants, patting them dry.

"My bad," I said, still dabbing at his lap. Elijah cleared his throat. I took one look at his look of pure anger before deciding that I was in deep trouble. I froze.

I could hear Uriah trying to stifle his laughter underneath his fist and it took all I had not to let my face turn a deep crimson color.

I dropped the napkins in his lap and glanced around the table. Various looks of shock stared back at me. Uriah was the only one who found amusement in this whole situation. My mom's jaw was practically to the floor and my father's eyebrows were raised.

I had just been patting the bad boy's pants in front of everyone. I didn't think I could be any more embarrassed.

"Sorry," I mumbled as Elijah grabbed the napkins and placed them on the table. So low that no one could hear, Elijah murmured in my ear, "You got me wet."

I choked at his innuendo and he smirked.

Mom grabbed the lasagna and served everyone. The whole situation was quickly forgotten as we all took a bite of the lasagna. It melted in my mouth and everyone complimented my mom's cooking. It really was amazing.

We made light conversation throughout dinner until it was time for the Reeds to leave. They thanked my mom for the hospitality and headed out the door. Exhausted, I helped my parents clean up and then went upstairs to my room.

I stripped out of my clothes, throwing them on the floor. I had been so uncomfortable in that outfit since I never usually dressed like that. A whistle from my bedroom window made me freeze.