7. My First Homecoming Proposal

*Edited* And by the way, I'm also working on a story called, "The Boyfriend Hotline" if you wanted to check it out. I update it pretty much every day. :)

The next day at school, I was standing at my locker trying to find my math textbook when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I impatiently shoved my supplies in my locker and slammed it shut before I turned around to face who had tapped me. Uriah's brown eyes smiled down at me. His hands were behind his back and he nervously shuffled his feet.

"Hey, Veronica," he started, looking at the floor, "I remember how you said you've never been to homecoming before and I think that you should go. So...would you go with me?"

My jaw dropped as he removed his arms from behind his back, handing me a bouquet of flowers. Onlookers looked surprised, but I ignored them. The scent of the flowers filled my nostrils and I smiled.

"Sure, I'd love to go," I said.

Uriah beamed, making his dimples surface. "Great, the dance is next week. I'll pick you up before it starts."

I set the flowers down and surprised us both by wrapping my arms around his neck and squeezing him tightly. His arms came up around my back after a second, holding me against him.

"Thanks, Uriah," was all I said. He placed his hands on my shoulders, holding me an arms-length away. He bent his neck, placing his forehead against mine. "No. Thank you," he said. My heart melted right as the bell rang.

Uriah scrambled to his locker and I laughed at his haste to get to class. I took my time getting to math class. Ugh, my least favorite subject.

When I arrived late, every student turned their eyes on me. Bianca muttered something under her breath and the people closest to her snickered. I rolled my eyes.

Mrs. Humphrey sighed dramatically when I walked in during the middle of her lesson. She capped the dry erase marker she had been using to write notes on the board and placed it on her desk.

"Veronica Fray, one more tardy and you will have to stay after for a detention," she said, placing a hand on her hip.

I hung my head. "Yes, ma'am." I headed to my usual seat, surprised it was still open even though I was late. I ignored everyone around me as I sat down. Mrs. Humphrey turned back to the board to continue with her lesson that I couldn't be bothered to pay attention to.

A pen poked my back a second before a deep voice rumbled in my ear.

"Did those flowers my brother brought to school today have anything to do with you?"

I stiffened. Why would he care? My knuckles whitened as I clenched my fist around my pencil, seconds away from cracking it. Refusing to turn around and face my infuriating neighbor, I said, "Jealous much?"

"Yes."

I whipped around in my chair so fast that my blonde hair was strewn across my eyes. I impatiently shoved it out of my face as I connected with Elijah's green eyes. He displayed a cocky smirk on his face and I knew he was kidding. I narrowed my eyes on him and turned back around right as the bell rang. I dashed out of the classroom, not wanting to see him again.

The bell rang at the end of the day and I sped to my car without grabbing my homework since I wouldn't have time for it tonight. Instead of driving straight home like I usually did, I drove to the mall. I had called my mom during my study period to tell her that I'd be going out after school to buy a dress for homecoming. She was ecstatic, saying I could buy any dress I wanted and that the price didn't matter.

I went into Lord & Taylor to begin my quest to find the perfect dress. I never shopped for one before so I wasn't sure what I should get, especially for homecoming. I asked one of the fashionable women working at the front of the store folding clothes, about what I should get. Her face lit up as she lead me over to a rack of dresses specifically for homecoming.