40. My First Time Being Experimented On

*Edited*

"Uriah!"

"Veronica?" Uriah asked in disbelief over the phone.

I spun around in my swivel chair, careful not to knock my knees against the desk in my room. "Hey, how are you doing?"

"I'm...doing well," he said before asking, "What's up with you?"

"Oh you know; filling out college applications," I replied with an eager smile on my face.

"Nice. Where are you thinking of applying?"

"Harvard, Dartmouth, maybe Yale," I said, sarcastically.

Uriah chuckled and scoffed, "Pfft, take it easy."

"Ha-ha. Nah, I'm just kidding. I actually just sent in an application for Bryant Univeristy."

Uriah was silent for a few moments and I began to get nervous that he didn't like that idea. I bit my lip, anxiously waiting for his response.

"Oh...that's great," was all he said.

I'd thought he would be happier about my decision than that. I picked at my nails and glanced out my window to see Elijah smirking at me.

"What?" I shouted at him.

"I said I think that's a good idea," Uriah said in my ear.

"Oh, crap. I'm sorry. I was talking to your brother," I apologized, shooting an annoyed look Elijah's way.

"How are you guys doing, by the way?"

I looked once more at the boy currently glaring at me and went with, "Not good."

"Ah, what happened?"

"Well, he basically said that he got tired of waiting for me to have sex with him so he went and did it with the new girl, Allison," I answered, completely disgusted.

"Jeez, TMI," he said.

"Tell me about it," I said, rolling my eyes.

"One second, Jules," Uriah called.

"Who's Jules?"

He hesitated for a second before deciding to tell me the truth. "My, uh...girlfriend," he said.

I gasped. Uriah had a girlfriend.

Elijah had just told me that Uriah was still in love with me. Unless...

"I'll call you later," I said, hanging up the phone.

I slammed my cell phone down on my desk and jumped out of the chair, determinedly heading over to my open window. I leaned across the space between our two houses and shoved my head in Elijah's room.

"Who's still in love with me?" I demanded, recalling his previous statement of, He's still in love with you, you know?

Elijah hitched an eyebrow and shrugged. "Who the hell do you think?"

I placed my hands on my hips and flipped my blonde hair out of my eyes. "Yeah, well Uriah has a girlfriend so-"

"So who does that leave?"

My eyes widened in realization. I pointed a finger at him. He looked down at himself then back up at me, raising both of his eyebrows.

"B-But you had sex with Allison!" I stuttered.

Elijah climbed off of his bed and lumbered over to the window, leaning across he gap to meet me. When he was just inches away, he whispered, "Did I?"

I couldn't help it. I lashed out before I knew what was happening.

The back of my hand collided with the side of his cheek, knocking his head sideways. I clutched my hand against my chest, wondering if I had just hurt myself more than I hurt him.

"What was that for?" He growled, slowly bringing his face back around.

I pushed into his personal space, evading his privacy as I brought my nose right up to his. Narrowing my eyes on him, I said, "For being an asshole."

Elijah's lips grazed mine and my breath hitched, making him grin in satisfaction.

"This goes both ways, Ronnie," he said against my lips. I refused to move as I angrily ground out, "How?"

"You didn't bother trying to contact me all summer, either."

"I was waiting for you!"

"And I was waiting for you."

He slanted his head, angling his lips even more onto mine, making it harder for me to concentrate. I almost forgot what we were arguing about. Almost.

"Bullshit. You waited long enough to get into Allison's pants," I shot back.

"I lied."

My jaw dropped, giving him the opportunity to press his lips to mine, and slide his tongue behind my teeth.

I pushed him back, earning a dirty look. "No, you didn't," I denied, not believing a word he said.

He sighed, standing straight up.

"Listen, I know you won't believe me, and I don't blame you. I seem to do stupid things to the girl I love."

My face reddened as his green eyes focused intently on me.

"I made it up. I didn't actually do it with that girl. I wanted to see how you would react if I told you that lie. I honestly thought you must hate me and that was the reason for not talking to me all summer. I needed to know if I was right."

"So you thought by making such a disgusting story into an experiment that you would get your answer?"

He gave me a blank look. "Yes, that's what I just said," he deadpanned.

"How would that give you an answer? I'm not some freaking lab rat!"

"Simple," he said with a shrug, "If you were angry, then it meant you were jealous and still had feelings for me. If you didn't care, then I knew you didn't love me anymore for some reason."

"So, did you get your answer?"

"Not the one I was looking for. Tell me, Ronnie. Do you hate me, because I will move on right now."

***********

Hi, so I've started writing another story yet again, lol! I have too many ideas and I just scribble them down. Anyway, it's called, "Tracking Logan Foster" which is about depression and suicide. If you're interested in those emotional topics, I'd love it if you could check it out. Thanks!!!