21. My First Time Gardening

*Edited*

"What the hell?" I burst out, shoving Elijah away from me. "Why me?!"

He took a step back and sat down at the edge of my bed with his elbows on his knees as he leaned forward. He shrugged and said, "I want to know what it feels like to actually be in love."

"So figure it out. I'm not gonna help you," I said, swiveling my chair around so I was no longer faced towards him. Ugh, he made me so mad. He could easily find any other girl, like seriously, I was no one special.

Plus, he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would say something like that. He moved on from girls faster than I could binge watch an entire series on Netflix. And I could do that pretty fast, mind you.

Elijah made an aggravated noise as he said, "Fine. If you don't make me fall in love with you by the end of summer, then..."

I swirled around so fast in my chair that it almost tipped over. I leaned forward on my knees, mimicking his stature as I raised my eyebrows and asked, "Are you threatening me? What, are you a child?"

"Then I'll just have to make you fall in love with me."

I rolled my eyes. "That's impossible. I hate your guts."

He thoughtfully tapped his chin and locked his electric green eyes on mine. "Hmm, I have an idea."

I groaned. "Great, what?"

"Whoever gets the other person to fall in love first wins."

I swear my heart stopped beating for a second. He couldn't be serious. "Uh, can I set you up with someone?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. If I get you to fall in love with me first, then I'm taking that poster," he said, pointing at my favorite poster hanging on the ceiling above his head.

"You wouldn't," I gasped.

"But, if you get me to fall in love with you first, I'll give you my car."

My ears perked up at that. My car was so old and ugly that I was embarrassed to drive it. Elijah's car, on the other hand, was sleek and sexy.

I hitched an eyebrow, rubbing my hands together eagerly as I said, "Deal."

He smirked and stood up, going over to my window. He got up on the ledge and turned his head around, saying, "By the way, I never lose." Then he jumped across the small space into his own room.

Little did he know that I never lost either. I vowed that I wouldn't fall in love with Elijah and that I'd somehow defy all natural laws by getting him to love me.

"Game on!" I yelled out my window as I imagined myself cruising in Elijah's sports car.

As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew I was screwed. How the hell was I going to get my freaking enemy to fall in love with me? I knew I wouldn't fall in love with him, so I didn't have to worry about losing my poster...at least that's what I thought.

I dropped my head in my hands and let out a frustrated groan. This was going to suck.

***********

"Honey! Can you come downstairs and help me carry out the gardening tools?" My mother yelled from downstairs the next morning. I sighed and exited out of the internet browser before heading downstairs to help her.

I found her in the kitchen all decked out in her gardening clothes. I'd told her once that she looked like a farmer and she scolded me, so I knew not to make comments about her outfit anymore.