24. My First POV - Part 1

*Edited*

*Elijah's POV*

"Can I have your car at least?" She asked.

I stared, dumbfounded at her. I had just told her I loved her and that's how she responded?

"Fine, whatever," I said as her eyes lit up, "But what about what I just said?"

"Prove it," Veronica said, staring up at me with her huge, blue eyes.

Are you freaking serious? It was hard enough for me to admit my feelings to her and now she wants me to prove them?

This chick was going to be the death of me. I know you're probably wondering when I actually started falling for her, but even I'm not sure when that happened.

Originally, I had thought it would be, let's say entertaining to "steal" all of her first times. She was a virgin in every sense, so I thought it'd also be pretty easy.

Never did I expect I'd fall in love with her in the process. Sure, Mae was a nice girl, but she wasn't anything like Veronica. Whenever I was with Mae, I'd only think about a different girl with blonde hair.

But she had someone else on her mind; my adopted brother, Uriah. I would never go behind his back trying to take his girlfriend away, so I settled for Mae until I couldn't take it anymore.

I broke up with her around the time I had found out Uriah would be leaving for college. I knew it was wrong of me to feel a spark of joy at the thought of him leaving. I felt that way because then Veronica would finally be available.

Don't get me wrong, even though Uriah wasn't my biological brother, he still felt like one. I loved him like a real brother and I was devastated when I had first found out the news that he was leaving.

Anyway, back to the present.

"What do you mean?" I growled, threateningly.

Veronica narrowed her eyes and placed her small hands on my chest, trying and failing to shove me off of her. I hitched an eyebrow at her attempts which just made her even more pissed off, and hot for that matter.

"All you've ever been to me was a jerk. I guess you were somewhat decent to me a few times, but that's about it. You can't just go and say you love me out of the blue without realizing that there is no way I would believe you."

Damn, she had a point there. But what about that time I helped her garden or took her to the fair? Did those not count for anything?

But then there were times like when I stole her first kiss, got her fired on her first job, among other things that I didn't wish to recall. Those had been the most recent, too.

"And this is all so sudden," she continued, "I had no idea you felt anything besides loathing for me. And plus, my boyfriend just left, ending our relationship. I'm not ready for this."

I didn't think about that. I sighed and climbed off her, retreating to the opposite couch as she sat up and smoothed out her hair.

God, I had been seconds away from losing myself and kissing her, but she had to open her mouth and say something that made me stop.

So did this mean she didn't feel the same way about me?

I crossed my legs and placed them on the coffee table in front of me, cracking my knuckles. Veronica cringed at the noise, scrunching her nose in a cute way.

I cleared my throat. "How do you feel towards me?" I wanted to know.

A faint blush stained her cheeks as she shrugged. "Like I said, it's too soon and I cannot get past thinking of you as my enemy until you prove your love to me."

Ouch. Rejected.

I folded my arms behind my head, feigning as if what she said didn't affect me. I noticed her eyes linger on my abs for a few seconds too long, so I smirked.

When she finally met my gaze, her face turned a bright shade of red and she stood up quickly. She walked over to me and held out her hand. I looked into her empty palm, raising my eyebrows.

"Your keys."

"My keys?"

She nodded. "You said I could have your car, remember?"

Shit. I had just agreed with what she had asked me for without actually thinking about it. I'd just wanted to know how she felt about what I said.

Plus, she had caught me completely off guard with her sudden request.

I guessed winning her heart and proving my love for her had to start somewhere, so I decided to go along with what she wanted.

I groaned and got up, walking over to the dish I kept my car keys in. I came back over and dropped them into her expectant hand. She grinned, tightening her fist around my keys.

"Thanks," she said, happily skipping out of my house.

She leaned back inside and said, "You can have my car for free."

"Thanks," I replied, icily. She winked and dangled her new set of keys between her fingers to torture me.

I collapsed back down on the couch and cursed under my breath when I heard a car engine turn on in my driveway. Freaking Veronica Fray.

**********

Alright, that's all I've got so far! Hope you like it.