33. Our First Breakup

*Edited*

"What are you doing?" A voice hissed in my ear as a hand grasped my upper arm.

"Excuse me a second, Quinn," I said, turning around to face a seriously pissed of Elijah.

"Uh, okay..." Quinn trailed off, uneasily.

I placed my hands on my hips, raising my eyebrows at Elijah who openly glared at the new boy. I snapped my fingers in front of his face to get his attention.

His eyes flashed to mine and he growled, "Who is that?"

"Oh, him?" I asked, gesturing a hand at Quinn over my shoulder. "This is Quinn Clyde."

Elijah smirked, addressing Quinn. "Hey, Quinn. Your sister is...how should I say this?"

I held my breath. I knew he was about to say something to get under my skin.

I admit, I had been trying to give him a taste of his own medicine, but he had started it. He had no reason to be doing this to me.

He shot a look at me and thought about continuing his sentence. He clapped a hand on Quinn's shoulder without any sort of friendliness, and shoved past him. Jeez, what was his issue?

"Sorry about Elijah. He's my, uh...boyfriend," I said. Quinn looked surprised for a second before nodding. 

"Oh he's..." He trailed off not knowing how he should end his statement. I laughed.

"It's okay. I know he's a bit extreme sometimes. Anyway, would you like to sit with me at lunch today?" I blurted without thinking. Elijah's head whipped around and he glared at me. Crap, he had heard me.

Quinn looked taken aback at first from my straightforwardness. He quickly got over it and gave me a smile. "Sure, sounds great."

Then I walked him to his next class, wondering if I should regret inviting him to my lunch table. Last year, I sat with Uriah, Elijah, and Mae. But this year, I figured I'd be sitting with Mae and I suspected Elijah to be there, too.

So when Elijah sat down with a girl who had bright red hair, I knew something was up. This wasn't how you behaved while you were in a relationship.

I arrived at our lunch table first, followed by Mae who's eyes drifted around the cafeteria. She pouted when she saw a certain someone sitting at a different table.

"I guess since Elijah and I broke up, he won't be sitting here anymore," she said, picking through her lunch until she pulled out a pudding cup.

She didn't know how wrong she was. Elijah should be sitting here. Except for a completely different reason.

I sighed in regret of what I was about to say. "Mae, Elijah is-"

"Hey, guys," Quinn said as he took a seat next to me. I bit my lip. Damn, every time I was about to tell Mae, I always got interrupted.

"Hi, are you new?" Mae asked, happily.

Quinn nodded. "Yeah, my name is Quinn Clyde. What's yours?" He politely asked her.

She told him her name and they quickly got into a solid conversation. I felt completely left out, but I didn't care because I couldn't stay focused on their babbling for the life of me. I was too focused on what my boyfriend was doing with another girl.

There was a lull in their conversation and I looked up to see both of them staring at me. Mae had her mouth slightly hanging open and Quinn had his eyebrows raised.