t e n

Song Of The Day : Human by Christina Perri

Comment, vote and share!

T e n

Hailey and I stood side by side in front of the large iron gates that led to her large suburban house. She typed in the password and when she was done, the wrought gates with intricate patterns, opened. Yeah, well, Hailey's family was that kind of rich.

Hailey turned to me and grinned,"You ready?"

"Hell yes," I answered, grinning back, although I was a little bit hesitant about it. I mean it was not like I was scared of her parents or something like that. They are very kind people and generous. And the fact that they don't even stay in England for more than a week every three months, helps too. They are those type of parents who travel across the world for their business. So basically it's just Hailey, Nick and their little squad of ten maids and servants. Out of those ten, some are classified for laundry, some for cleaning and there is this lady called Mary who is their personal chef. She is a brilliant cook and I have not only learned some tricks from mom and Stella but also Mary. She also once asked me to start drilling the passion I have for cooking inside Hailey's head.

Hailey started tugging on my forearm as I struggled with one suitcase and my other bags that included a backpack and my large handbag. Hailey was holding or in other words dragging my other suitcase with rather hostility. As we went inside the gates, the guards seemed all the more guarded which is weird since they are always on guard. They stood in attention and saluted us or rather me, as Hailey just ignored their mere attempts of respect. I smiled a little at them but their faces were the same, with no indication of a fluctuation in their faces whatsoever. Their eyes were covered with those carbon black glasses that I don't know why I found a little creepy and they looked a little blind to me. I have been to Hailey's place so many times, I have almost lost count. But never ever in my life, have I ever seen any of the three armed guards smile a little or show any signs or indications of relaxation. Plain weird. I mean if I was assigned with a job of this much sincerity and seriousness, I would feel the more urge to laugh and relax 'cause I would try and constantly be on guard but that is kind of impossible because it is me. I can never be on guard. Is it just me?

We both made our way to the front door of their mansion. The door in front of me was humongous to say the least. The large door was made of high quality of red oak and teak. The entire door was not made of oak as there was a translucent glass with floral patterns on the upper part of the door. I raised my head up and my eyes fell on the security camera placed on the upper corner. I smiled and waved eagerly in the camera. Fortunately, Hailey was not seeing as she was busy rummaging through her pockets for the keys to the house. Immediately her face lit up and she quickly fished out the key. But before she could thrust the key into the keyhole, the front door burst open.

Before we both could comprehend what was happening, a mop of golden fur sprinted across the house and to the porch where I was standing, along with Hailey, and suddenly tackled me to the ground. Actually, scratch that. Two mops of golden fur. Bruno and Brunei. Of course. The amazing two golden retrievers that the Lewis' have had since the last seven years. Their guards apart from the human guards who are adorable when not provoked or else, they are plain scary. They haven't ever attacked me for which I am thankful, honestly. But they are giants. Like huge. So it won't surprise me. As soon as they tackled me down on the porch, I quickly shut my eyes and waited for any of them to attack. But instead of their paws scratching my cheeks, I felt something wet tickle the side of my cheeks.

Gingerly, I cracked my one eye open and gasped loudly at what I saw. Bruno And Brunei were both hovering over my laid down figure and they were licking my cheeks with their soft, red and long tongues. Gross but adorable. I blinked once at them. Then I blinked twice. And then I snapped out of my little daze. Realizing that they meant no harm, I started to extend my hands and started to scratch the region behind their ears. They must have liked it because the next thing I know they are nuzzling my cheeks with their snouts. I sighed in content and relief. Content because their nuzzling felt really good and relaxing and relief because I realized they aren't going to attack me.