e l e v e n

Song Of The Day : Bad Boys by Zara Larrsson

Comment, vote and share!

e l e v e n

A supper at the Lewis' could be described in one statement : just like Hogwarts. Honestly, I think it is better than the food at Hogwarts. Mary, undoubtedly, did an amazing job in creating some of the best dishes.

Whenever Hailey's parents were in town and had time for some family time, the meal is always amazing because it is very rare that they are home. They travel very much and therefore, have very little time to spend with their kids. Apparently, I had the fortune of having a supper with them, this time. There were so many different food items, I almost lost count of what I had earlier. It was weird, really. Even if my mother was an amazing and impeccable chef, she never used to cook five star meals during our family times. I mean no matter how much fantastic it tasted, the five star meals didn't have a homey touch to it. A touch that we all looked forward to on weekends, especially Saturdays. Those were the days, mom used to have a day off instead of Sunday as the crowd on Sundays were wicked high. And they all loved my mother's dishes, so basically she was way too busy on Sundays. Saturdays, on the other hand, were like our 'Family Days.' The reason was because clearly, we all had a day off and even if we didn't, we made sure to make some time for each other. So on Saturdays or any other days, generally, my mother used to cook comfort food. The food that she was wicked good at. The food that had a homey touch to it. The food that were framed in her mind. Like grilled cheese, pizzas, etc. And mind you, my mother's pizzas were cheesier and better than the pizza from the pizza outlets'.

"So Cadence, how are you adjusting to your new room?" Mr. Lewis or Steve asked me in order to make small talks during the lunch.

"I am doing pretty good. Thanks for having me here, it means a lot to me," I replied, feeling genuinely grateful.

"You are Hailey's best friend since the past ten years, is it," he stopped to look at Hailey who nodded and he continued," and honestly it is a pleasure to have you here. You are a wonderful girl."

I just smiled at him in response.

"And by the way, Hailey told us how you are going to join a restaurant as an assistant chef. It's a good achievement at such a small age. I hope you succeed and grow your passion in culinary arts," he said a few minutes later as I started chewing on my little pieces of meatballs.

"Yeah, well I hope so too," I muttered under my breath. It was pretty clear from my insides, that I didn't want to join the restaurant. But you don't always get to do things that you want. Sometimes, life just doesn't approve of that. And well, that was what was happening to me. I didn't want to do this cooking because well, it isn't my forte. It's just something I am good at. But I am doing it because it would make my mother proud. I wasn't doing it for myself, it that wasn't clear by now. I was doing this completely for my mother.

"What was that?" Nick from beside me, shot me a look, clearly having heard what I said.

"Nothing," I shot back, shooting him a glare as I started playing with the peas in my dish.

"So Cadence, why don't you tell us something more about this new job of yours?" Mrs. Lewis or Samantha said, trying to get the talk moving forward.

"Oh well, I will be working for six days per week," I said, awkwardly, feeling self-conscious under so many pair of eyes, looking expectantly at me for an answer. Hailey, who sat on my right put her hand on my thigh and squeezed it gently, trying to show that she was here for me. But that wasn't what I needed at the moment. I needed space. Was it so hard for people to understand that?