f o r t y t h r e e

Song of the Day: Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri.

Comment, vote and share!

F o r t y t h r e e

"Hello Brown."

"Nolan?" I whispered yet again, unable to believe my eyes.

"Yes, I am Nolan," He said as he rolled his eyes and let go of my shoulder, not completely though, he was still holding it lightly and the area where his hand was placed was getting all tingly and weird, why I didn't know.

Anger filled my vision and I saw red, how dare he treat me like dirt and then manhandle me at a public place and act like it was nothing to him. I shoved him hard, tears of frustration filling my sight. A satisfying feeling settled inside me when I saw him stumble a little, his eyes widened and he caught himself before he fell down. He composed himself and looked at me with rage in his eyes. But this time, he wasn't the only one glaring, I was staring him down, equally hard.

Before I could comprehend what happened, he hands were on my shoulders and he turned my around and pushed me against the wall. I closed my eyes and winced slightly when the hard wall made contact with my sensitive back. Seeing me wince, Nolan's glare softened a little and something that resembled concern or worry, filled his eyes.

I opened my eyes and glared at him through my tear filled eyes.

"What's wrong with you?" I whispered, my voice croaking slightly.

Nolan laughed humourlessly, "What's wrong with me you ask? What's wrong with you?"

I was confused, utterly and completely. What was he talking about?

"Why would you go out with him? That- that crazy little piece of shit, a poor excuse of friend and the guy who made your life complete hell?" He asked, his eyes dancing with accusation and jealousy.

"You have the nerve of accusing me," I let out a humourless bark of laughter. "I wasn't the one snogging literally anyone."

"I didn't snog her," Nolan said, shaking his head. "I didn.'t."

"Yes and I am Theresa May," I retorted sassily. "You know it doesn't matter to me that you kissed her, not really. I mean it's not like we are together or stuff like that."

Nolan looked at me, his gaze intense as if he were assessing me, like he were trying to memorize me. I didn't flinch away from his gaze, not this time. I was done being the nervous, scaredy cat between the two of us, I was so done. I wanted to challenge him.

"Believe me," Nolan said as his voice turned octaves lower and was thick, thick with emotions ineffable. "I didn't kiss her."

With those words, my mind was in a haze as I tried to remember everything about Nolan's seeming snogging session with Fauna's sister, Flora.

"You did," I said but my voice wasn't much assuring or accusing. It was dazed with confusion and something different than that, was it relief?

I remembered everything that went down yesterday. From Nick asking me out before my Physics lecture, to meeting up with the girls during the break to the last lecture of the day, where I met up with Nick and just as I was about to turn him down I remember Nolan making an entry into the hallway with that little ball of sunshine, his eyes meeting mine and a cruel smirk making its way onto his lips. Then he leaned down and I remembered tears blurring my vision, very much like right now, and I looked away from him to Nick who was looking at me with worry clouding his features. I didn't see Nolan kissing that happy go merry girl, I just saw him leaning down, close enough for Faun-Flora to smell his pleasant, minty breath on her face. That meant Nolan didn't really kiss her, I thought he did.