t w e n t y o n e

Song Of The Day : Complicated by Avril Lavigne.

Comment, vote and share!

T w e n t y o n e

I was frozen. Completely and utterly. As in someone with some superpower of pausing the time had just did a number. I was cold. Shocked. And utterly confused. It was like someone had poured a bucket full of ice cold water on my head. And just like that time froze around me and so did everything else. Not in a romantic-kind of a way. In a horror-kind of way.

The Caleb I knew was different from her descriptions though they had the same name and surname. He, as far as I remembered or thought for that matter, wasn't a bad boy. He couldn't even hurt a fly for Pete's sake and he was a bad boy who got into fights? I didn't think it was him. But then again, what was the probability of having two Caleb Moores in London of the same age? None, I believed.

You know life reveals some of the shittiest things at the shittiest of times. Just when I thought I had enough to over think about for a decade, another jolt hit me. And this one in a heck more of a velocity than the others. Caleb couldn't be the guy Taylor was talking about. He couldn't be the guy she was in love with. He definitely couldn't. I didn't remember introducing them at any occasions but perhaps they had seen each other once or twice for Taylor to remember that thought they had the same name, he wasn't the guy she loved.

As much as I didn't want Caleb to be the guy, another part of me, the pessimist -who by the way had a perfect timing of jotting things down on my mind- was persistent that what if Caleb was the guy? It wasn't like I was against the idea of them being together. I just didn't want either of them to hurt each other. 'Cause Caleb's like a brother to me and Taylor? She must have been bitchy to me but now she's a different story.

"Hey there space cadet, wanna join us earthlings finally?" Asked Taylor as she rubbed her red rimmed eyes and flicked my forehead with her thumb.

I focused my eyes on the scene in front of me, finally gaining some of the senses.

"I am not crying anymore. No need to think about different ways of plotting his murder," Taylor muttered jokingly.

"Caleb? Caleb Moore?" Apparently, my thoughts were still in a turmoil.

"That's what she said," muttered Harriet and Hailey looked at me worriedly with her eyes dancing with concern. Her eyes silently asked questions her mouth didn't. You okay?

I nodded in a haze and quickly untangled my legs as I made my way to the drawer where a few of my family albums rested peacefully. I hadn't even looked through them since months. I picked up the album that had my mother's pictures with her awards and her accomplishments. I really didn't know why I had her credibility's albums, it didn't even make any sense as to why I had them. It just was in one of the boxes my father and I cleaned before he left and it somehow ended up in my suitcase. I was weird like that.

I opened the large picture album and started flipping the pages, the angelic face of my mother carving in my sights. Her different pictures where her face complimented her familiar mane of blonde hair and her piercing blue eyes that snapped into mine. Her curvy body engulfed in a professional chef coat, similar to mine but only the badge that read 'Head Chef' was accessorized.

"What are you looking for?" I heard Hailey, Taylor or Harriet ask me. I couldn't quite understand whose voice it was as every senses of mine had been focused on the picture album clad in my hands. Even my ears whose actual job was to listen to the surroundings were busy ringing words that I had been chanting in my mind like a mantra.

I ignored the ignorant voice.

A few more flipping later, a picture that I was searching for came into my sights. I stopped and my eyes zoomed in, grasping the minute details of the two people in the picture. My mother and the person of interest right now -not literally- Caleb Moore. Both of them grinning. Oh not my mother, she was just smiling politely as if receiving UK's highest culinary award was just an everyday episode. But it wasn't the first time she received that award. In fact, it was the third time.