e i g h t e e n

Song Of The Day : Domino by Jessie J.

Comment, vote and share!

E i g h t e e n

  "What was all of that about?" Asked Hailey as we left the closet a few moments after Nick left.

  "Nothing. I'll tell you later. And by the way, Nick had bolted the door. How did you open it?" I asked, genuinely curious.

  "I heard your voice and thought you were in danger. The bobby pin came in handy," she said shruggling, her anger cooling off a little.

  And that's how I found appreciating the existence of the bobby pins for the second time in a day.

  --

  "Firstly you're supposed to remember that root of a negative number doesn't exist. That is the reason that a root of a negative number is considered to be an imaginary number not a real one. The value of imaginary number is 'under root of -1' and it is denoted by 'i.' The combination of a real number and an imaginary term is called as a complex number," Nolan explained as he wrote down the name of the chapter 'Complex Numbers' in a page. I nodded my head. It was pretty much easy to understand right now. It wasn't tough at the moment. And  truly hoped, it wasn't going to get tough as well.

  I and Nolan were currently sitting in the school library as he taught me a new concept in Maths called 'Complex Number.' It took all the will power in me, to not just stare at his handsome face and his full, pink lips as he droned on and on about the topic. It wasn't like I like him or anything like that, but that didn't mean that I couldn't appreciate the eye candy in front of me.

  "When the operation is addition or subtraction between two complex terms, you are supposed to pair the real part with real and the imaginary part with imaginary and bring the answer in 'a+bi' form. See for example, like this," he said as he scribbled down a question in the book and started solving. I paid attention to what his hands oh so skillfully solved. He completed a large big arse sum that would take me two minutes in a mere thirty seconds. Weird right?

  "Come on, now. You try this one out," he said as he prepared to look at the wrist watch to note how much I was taking to finish the sum off. I took the book from his grip and looked at the sum. It seemed fairly simple and easy to me right now. I tried remembering all the rules he said about complex number, as my pen started working against the smooth texture of the paper. Real part with real and imaginary part with imaginary. A few moments later, I was done with the sum.

  "Wow, Brown. That was great. Just fifty three seconds. I am impressed," Nolan said, nodding appreciatively as a small smile etched on his lips. I smile back at him, his smile no matter small, was contagious.

So is AIDS, replied my stupid brain.

Oh, so you're back now? I had just started having some fun, I responded back.

I never left, I was just too absorbed in Nolan's handsome features to pay any attention to you, retorted back that annoying voice in my brain.

"Shut up, idiot," I said absentmindedly, not realizing I just said that out aloud. Nolan started frowning at my words and then it hit me. He thought I called him an idiot when he's the smarter one here.

  "Idiot?"

  "No, no, not to you. T-thanks I guess," I responded back to Nolan as his words registered, embarrassed. Heat had crept up to my cheeks. I was talking to myself. I looked crazy in his eyes, I believed.  

  Since when do I care about what other people think about me? I asked myself mentally.

  Since Nolan came along. Just admit it you like the guy.  You even look a little presentable now, replied my annoying brain. I looked down to what I was wearing and frowned deeply. Just a goddamn pair of worn out black jeans and a flannel shirt. Since when was a plaid shirt considered fancy?