t h i r t y f i v e

Song of the Day: Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez.

Comment, vote and share!

T h i r t y f i v e

"How is Ian?" Stella asked as she chopped the mint leaves into small fragments, the smell of crispy mint wafting through the kitchen.

"Father's doing great," I responded as I put the properly cut vegetable into the pressure cooker. "He wanted to surprise Mark and I was all."

She chuckled. "Did he mention her yet?"

Her tone had changed from jovial to serious in a fraction of second.

"He did. Not really, though. He just asked how everything with us was since, you know her demise," I answered back. Though he did mention Kimberly many times since last two days. She was staying at a five star hotel, not too far away from out place. Not that I was going to mention that to Stella, she could work up a little too much sometimes. And besides, my worry about Kimberly was pointless. She was just someone he knew from work, right?

"Oh. He still mustn't have been accustomed to her death. Don't worry, he'll come around though," She answered offering me a small smile.

"Yeah, I hope he does. I want us to be proper family now," I muttered, slightly sad.

"Don't worry, you'll be," She said as she squeezed my shoulder comfortingly.

Before I could say anything, the pressure cooker whistled for the third time and I knew it was time to get it off the stove. I pulled on the hand gloves and grabbed the handle of the cooker pulling it off the stove and turning the knob off.

I put the steaming hot cooker on the platform, waiting for it to cool down for a few seconds. After putting it down, I went to the refrigerator to get some yogurt and milk to start up with the desert dish called 'Blue Lagoon' that is made out of blueberries. Stopping by at the pantry, I grabbed some of the fresh handpicked blueberries that were glistening with freshness on a contrast to the evening, setting sun.

After returning back to the kitchen with a basket full of blueberries and all the other ingredients required making the desert, I start working on it. Firstly taking out a large vessel, I fill it up with water and put the berries in it, to soften them a little. That was when Stella started talking to me.

"Hey Cade," She started off, her voice slightly nervous, "I want-"

But before she could say any further, she was already curling on the floor, heaving everything down. Yes, she was vomiting. Not knowing whether to be extremely grossed out by the sight in front of me or to try and comfort her. Pushing my cringed face aside, I squirted down beside her and started awkwardly patting her back, in a manner of comforting her as she continued to heave everything her stomach stored of her previous meal.

"There, there," I awkwardly said, not knowing how else to comfort her.

So much for being comforting.

A few moments she was puking. Stella looked at me and I stood up to grab a bottle of water from the platform and handed it to her. She gulped it down, eagerly and said, "Thanks."

"Are you okay?" I asked, a little concerned about her.

"Yes, this was what I wanted to tell you," She said as she stood up and wiped her face of any signs of her heaving.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I am pregnant, Cade," She said, grinning from ear to ear. A surprised sigh escaped from my lips before I reached over and hugged her tightly, my lips stretching into a mouthy grin. She chuckled deeply before hugging me back.