f o r t y

Song of the Day: Give Your Heart a Break by Demi Lovato.

Comment, vote and share!

F o r t y

"Go to the Winter Ball with me," Nick said to me and in surprise, I snapped the locker door shut, or rather banged, extremely loudly causing a few students around us to look at me with their highly judging stares. I narrowed my eyes at the lot, glaring at them and they quickly averted their curious slash judgmental gazes.

After Nolan broke down at the cemetery, two days ago, I tried to convince him how it wasn't his fault that Naomi died. It was just a series of unfortunate events. He disagreed. And with that, I made the impulsive yet rational decision to tell him about my mum's death and my father's recent affair with Kimbitchy. I also told him how I blamed myself for my mother's death, how I felt like I was somehow responsible for her untimely death. And this time, he disagreed. He said that my mum's death had nothing to do with my decision of not going to the supermarket. And that's when I told him that I didn't blame myself anymore for her death because I knew I had to control over the situation. I told him that's what he should do. He nodded but didn't say anything, rather looked away before closing his eyes and opening them again, wiping them of any tears. And then he brought me back home, not uttering a single word. My eyes searched for his. His eyes didn't meet mine. No words were exchanged. I quietly got off his bike and moved towards my place. When I turned around to finally tell him something, he was gone. Poof.

I tried calling him. He wasn't picking up. I waited for him at the school, after school for our tutoring sessions, he never turned up. He didn't come to school for two damned days. Why, I would never know.

I had been acting extremely cold and detached with my father, ignoring him most of the times and glaring at him the other times. He must have realized something was wrong with me and would confront me. Until then, I was going to be rude to him, I decided. Mark knew something was up between father and I, but didn't ask anything, thankfully. I knew someday today, he was going to ask me.

"Say something," Nick's voice snapped me out of my haywire thoughts and I stared at the golden haired boy in front of me.

I am giving up on you, I wanted to start singing but I held myself back. As much as my singing skills were examplary, I figured Nick would not really appreciate my efforts.

"What?" Was all I managed through my hazy state of mind. Was Nick Lewis asking me to go to the Winter Ball with him? When did this happen?

Nick rolled his eyes at my answer but smiled anyway. "Accompany me to the Winter Ball that's next week."

"Why me?" I asked finally, getting over my speechless moment. "You must have many girls dying to go out with you, then why me?"

"Must have?" Nick asked in a ridiculed manner. "I do have, for your kindest bloody information. Didn't really want to break their hearts, but had to. All they wanted to do was shag me after the ball. As much as I want to shag some of them, I can't handle them crying when I walk out on them."

"If I go with you, I am not going to shag you," I blurted out and soon redenned immediately out of embarrassment. God, why did I have to be such a bloody impulsive idiot?

I immediately casted my eyes away, unable to look at the smug look in his eyes out of embarrassment. He would taunt me, I thought. But then something unexpected happened. He chuckled at me.

"Cadence, you never fail to amuse me," Nick said, smiling at me, his pale blue coloured eyes gleaming with amusement. "I never planned to shag you, anyway."