A Loosened Grip

Venice and Draco woke up the next morning in each other's arms, and went downstairs to eat breakfast. "Evans, I think today is the perfect day for flying, you know," Draco said with a smirk. "Draco, I'm not too sure. I reckon I'll end up like Starletta did!' Venice said, laughing. "Oh, come off it! Why can't you just give it a try?" He said persuasively. "Alright, fine." Venice agreed. They went back upstairs to get changed into something better for flying, then went out to the Malfoy's 'backyard'. "The broomshed is over this way, Evans," Draco pointed to a light brown wooden shack. Inside, about 10 brooms surrounded the walls. "I think for a beginner like you, this one would be best," Draco said to Venice, picking up a broom with a maroon coloured handle. "A Nimbus 2001?"  Venice asked, looking at the label. "Yes, of course! Why anything else?" He said, leaving the shed with a broom with a black handle. "So, do you know how to get off the ground? Like to get started?" Draco asked, walking to a clear patch of grass. "Yes, I do. It's just I've never actually done it before!" She stated. "Alrighty, well then I'll start first, then come see if you can join me in the air!" Draco said, kicking off the ground and zooming off into the sky. He hovered about 20 feet up, and yelled "Come on, Evans!"

Venice was actually feeling quite nervous. She had only read about flying, and the only experiences she had with Quidditch were the magazines spewed around the Slytherin common room. She swung her leg around the other side of the broom, and tried to copy Draco's exact movement. She took her left foot and pushed it as hard as she could off the ground. She felt a rush of cold air fly onto her face as she shot upward into the sky. With a death grip on the handle of her broom, she saw she sped past Draco and kept going higher. Then, she focused on stopping, and her broom paused flight in the air. The view was breathtaking. She could see the forest that was surrounding the manor spread all the way to what seemed like the end of the earth. She looked down and saw the lake, the big tree, and the garden down below her. Venice wasn't afraid of heights, but she was a little bit frightened because she had never been this high before.

Draco was blown aback by the force when Venice zoomed by. He grabbed ahold of his handle and shot upward to join her again. "Nice job Evans!" He said suddenly, flying to her side. Venice had been so focussed at looking at the scenery around her, she screamed when she saw him flying up beside her. She almost lost her grip, when Malfoy grabbed her back and stabilized her. "You idiot! I could've died!" She said sternly, looking him in the eyes. "Right. Come on, let's practice your steering," Draco said, as he started flying away. Venice followed him. They passed over all the different scenery in the backyard, and flew around the manor a few times. Soon, Draco flew downwards and landed gracefully on the grass. Venice, on the other hand, pointed her broom downwards, but lost her grip. She was about 10 feet in the air, when she let go of her broom and plunged right into the lake.

Venice was pulled under the water by the current of the wind and her splash. She fought to get to the top, when she suddenly felt a strong grip pulling her upwards. Her face broke the surface of the water and she took a big breath of fresh air. Panting and struggling to keep upright, Draco pulled her toward the edge of the lake. He pulled her out of the water, and onto the grass. She lay there for about a minute, coughing up water and panting for air. "I- I- told- y-y-you!" Venice struggled to get out. She laughed and coughed up more water. "It's amazing how you almost just drowned, and now you're laughing about it," Draco said, also laughing. Sopping wet, he went to lay beside Venice too. "You know, it's actually not a bad day for a swim," he said, indicating the bright blue sky and blazing sun. "Not like this!" Venice said, laughing.

In the evening, Mrs. Malfoy prepared a big dinner for them to have. After they had finished their pudding, Venice thanked Mrs. Malfoy and went up to her room. Draco came barging into her room, and said "Venice! Come outside right now, I need to show you something!" Venice looked outside and saw that the sun was just about gone, and that the sky was a grey colour (although there was not a cloud in the sky). She followed him downstairs, and saw what he was talking about. Each individual flower in the garden (the one that resembled a maze) was glowing. Fireflys fluttered around, adding to the twinkle. Venice crossed the bridge that went over the pond to get to the garden, and bent down to examine a flower that was glowing a bright pink colour. All the flowers had different colours and a different brightness, making the whole thing seem more magical. Draco walked up to her side, and grabbed her hand. She looked up and him and smiled. "I knew you'd like it," he whispered.

They walked back out of the garden, and sat on the swing set that was beside the lake. Swinging gently, Venice looked over at Draco. He was looking over at the garden, probably admiring it's beauty. She had never really noticed the features of his face, but the reflection of the glowing flowers made his face glow in such a way that made a wave of adrenaline flood through her body. She smiled to herself. She really did like this boy.

Draco looked over to Venice and saw she was following the track of a firefly. The glow of the flowers gave her face a highlight that showcased different features about her face. One of Draco's favourite things about Venice was her eyes. The firefly got closer to her face, and Venice's eyes lit up. Draco smiled to himself. He really did like this girl.