Expecto Patronum!

Hermione had spread the word about the second D.A. meeting as soon as the winter holidays were over. Everybody only had to survive 3 days of classes before they would meet up in the room of requirement.

In Professor Trelawney's class, Umbridge was now strolling around and surveying Trelawney's teaching. She never spoke, and would stay for about 30 minutes, ask 2 questions, then leave with a little giggle. She did the same in Hagrid's and McGonagall's classes. It was getting quite scary actually, to have this woman watching all the students work. Eerie enough, she seemed to know what the teachers were thinking. Professor Snape seemed absolutely annoyed when she came to study his potions class. "And how long have you been here?" Umbridge asked Snape with a smile. Without letting him answer she asked "And I assume you kept applying for the Defence Against The Dark Arts post?". It seemed she was intentionally trying to break Snape. Once she left, he seemed a bit more cheerful then he usually was.

Once the day had come that the D.A. was going to meet up, everybody seemed more excited in class. Although nobody was paying attention to the teachers, everyone had this exciting feeling in their stomach knowing that they were breaking Umbridge's laws. At 6:00 that evening, every one would come to the room of requirement. Venice slipped through the doors and into the room, to see only a few people in this time. She knew she must've been earlier than last time, and settled down to talk to Hermione before it started. Out of the corner of her eye, Venice noticed George Weasley staring at her, although he was in deep conversation with Dean Thomas and his brother. "Yeah, I know it seems silly to be studying this early for the exam, I just thought it was more practical," Hermione was saying, talking about their charms exam. "Totally. It's just a bit hard to study knowing Umbridge is watching our every move," Venice said back. "Alright, guys," Harry then spoke up, and everybody went quiet. The group was now it's full size, meaning that everybody had arrived. "Today I was thinking we could start on something a bit more advanced, but not all of you will be able to achieve. I thought we could start working on our Patronus?" Harry suggested, and there was a ton of nods and whoops of agreement. "Okay, perfect! I want everybody to spread out, and try it for yourself. I assume you all know what the incantation is?" He asked, and everybody nodded and went to find a spot in the room.

Venice, however, did not know what he was talking about. What was a Patronus? What did it do? Was it a form of dark magic? Venice did not know, and apparently her face showed that, because George Weasley was then strolling up to her. "You look a bit off, can I help?" He said, laughing. Venice laughed in nervousness, and whispered "I don't even know what a Patronus is, how am I supposed to know what the incantation is?". Laughing, George raised his wand in front of him and said "Watch here, Venice,". He spun is wand around, and then flicked it saying "Expecto Patronum!" From the tip of his wand came a wisp of silver, and faded into the air. "Well, that was my first try, so don't laugh," He said, looking to Venice. "Let me try," she said in a competitive kind of voice. She honestly didn't know what the hell she was doing. "Expecto Patronum!" She yelled, flicking her wand exactly like George did. From her wand came the same wisp of silver that came from George's, but then formed into the shape of an animal. That animal was a giraffe. The giraffe ran around her in a circle, with a tail of silver trailing behind it. Once she dropped the spell, she noticed everyone was looking at her in awe. "Venice, that was brilliant!" Harry called from the other side of the room. Everybody started clapping, because apparently she was the first to conjure a full-bodied Patronus. "Bloody hell, Venice! That was amazing!" George beamed, and hugged her. As she hugged him, she smelt wisps of sherbet lemon and liquorice wands.

Once the D.A.'s meeting was over, Venice went back to the Slytherin common room. She felt like she was the happiest she had been for days; maybe even weeks.

The next day, Venice had Defence Against the Dark Arts with Umbridge. "Alright, class! I just wanted to have an important discussion about how your blood status affects your magical abilities. Is this true? Absolutely, students! If you are a pure blood, your magical abilities will most likely be stronger than if you are a muggle born!" As Professor Umbridge said this, Draco sat up straighter in his seat, and Hermione had a very obvious look of discomfort. "So, maybe I thought we could have a time to reflect on our blood status!" She beamed, and stood up out of her desk with a clipboard. "When I call your status, I want you to come line up at the front of the room! I just want to see what kind of diversity we have! Alright! First, can we get all the Pure-Bloods?" She squeaked, obviously pleased with herself. Venice looked beside her to see Hermione almost in tears. Umbridge was obviously trying to find more students to pick on, only based upon their blood. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle all walked up to the front of the room. So did Ron and a few others. When Draco got to the front of the room, he looked down at all the other students in the room. He saw Venice sitting beside Hermione. She was obviously not a pure-blood, she's related to Potter! She must be a half, Draco thought. "Alright, we have a nice amount of pure bloods! That's what I like to see!" Umbridge cackled, with an evil grin. "Okay, now go sit down!" She ordered, and all the Pure-Bloods went to sit back down. "Hm, something different! Maybe, Muggle-Borns?" She said, with an evil tone in her voice. Hermione stood up slowly, and proceeded to the front of the room. Venice then got up confidently, and joined her. Hermione looked at her as if to say Seriously? You're one too? It seemed like Hermione and Venice were the only muggle borns in the class. "Interesting, interesting! And I take it you two are some of the smartest in the school, huh? Ms. Granger, bright, and a know-it-all! Not a bad thing, knowing things. It will get you very far in life! And, what's your name?" Umbridge signalled to Venice. Venice snapped out of her daze. "Venice Evans," she said quietly. "Ah, right, Ms. Evans! I got word from last year that you and Mr. Potter were the best at curses! Hm, that does sound like something I'd like to see! Potter, get up here and do something with Evans! Impress me!" She said, challengingly. Hermione went to sit down, and Harry came up to the front. They exchanged glances; they already knew what they were going to do. Harry and Venice lifted their wands, and yelled "EXPECTO PATRONUM! And on their call, a silver Stag and Giraffe appeared from their wands, and circled the room. "Oh, dear!" Umbridge said as the animals came her way. Once they dropped the spells, everyone was looking at them like they were crazy. Although, the people in the D.A. smiled, and nodded their heads in pride to them. "Enough!" Umbridge said over the uproar that spread throughout the class. "No more magic! Everybody, ENOUGH! Sit down and read page 27 in your textbook, or else I might just subject you all to detention!" She yelled, making the room go quiet. She exchanged dirty looks with Venice and Harry as they went to sit down. When Venice walked down the aisle to her seat, Draco gave her the most angry look she had ever seen.

Draco was furious. First of all, she was a mudblood? A mudblood! How crazy was he to have liked her? Kissed her? Called her his girlfriend! Outrageous, the fact he never knew. And secondly, where did she learn this magic? How come Umbridge called her powerful when she never did anything with her? Draco did not talk to Venice after class, like he usually did.

Venice accepted Draco's decision on his silent treatment. In fact, she was glad to have space. There were other things she had to worry and think about, and to throw Draco into that whole equation? It was just a mess. She felt like it was a chore, having to love him. She still had feelings about him, no doubt. But was she fully committed to him? Her answer was a simple no. And that's how she thought it was going to be. Draco, simply out of her life. For now.