Aftermaths

Draco Malfoy

It was hard to watch Harry and The Dark Lord duel, but I guess this was the end of it all. Voldemort then went stiff, and broke into what seemed like a million pieces in mid-air. Harry Potter had won. Voldemort was dead. Everyone around me started to cry, laugh, cheer. I looked over to Harry and saw the Weasley girl go and hug him. It made me miss Venice. Miss her touch, her laugh, her smile. But, I guess it was for the best to stay out of her way. She wouldn't take me back anyway, because of the things I have done.

To clear my mind, I decided to go for a walk outside. I looked around the hall to see if Blaise was anywhere, but he wasn't. That's ok, I wanted to walk alone anyways. The crisp morning air seemed more happy today, and I don't know why. Look at all the people at my feet, dead. They were dead because of the people I thought I could trust for the right reasons. How could I ever listen to what I had to say? Potter's side seemed better, right? I guess I'm not too sure.

I entered the courtyard, to take a look at the damage. Oh, the grounds I don't care about. I guess I just wanted to see who was dead. I know that seems like a horrible thing to say, but I guess without knowing who's gone, I don't have the respect to mourn them. It was mainly just Death Eaters, but there were a few in Hogwarts colours. It made me a bit sad, to see them all dead, having fought for what they truly believed in. Me, on the other hand, I didn't know who and what I was fighting for.

I turned to go back inside, when the light of a zipper caught my eye. What kind of wizard uses zippers?

I looked over and saw Venice's body, pale and un-conscious. Her expression was lifeless. She was on her back, and her eyes were closed. Gosh, I loved her eyes. I ran over to her body, and dropped to my knees. "Please don't be dead," I whispered. I put my fingers on her neck, hoping to get lucky and feel her heart still fighting.
But, it felt like my luck ran out.
She was dead.

Venice Evans was dead.

I hadn't realized I was sobbing. It's all my bloody fault! It's all my fault she's dead. I looked down at her face and saw one of my tears fall onto her cheek. But I wasn't the only one who shed a tear. I looked up and saw a Phoenix standing on a piece of rubble above me. It was crying, too. One of its tears fell onto Venice's other cheek. The spot where it landed grew a faint glow of gold, then disappeared. Weren't phoenixs supposed to heal? Venice was dead, it surely couldn't help her. I threw a rock at it, and it flew away. I started crying again. I leant down and put my face close to her's. A light twinkling sound came from above me. The Phoenix had not left. I felt a rush of cold air on my neck. I slid my hands under her back and held her one last time.

I had been holding her for about fifteen minutes, when suddenly I started sobbing uncontrollably once more. Rivers started to form underneath my eyes, and they dripped into a pool on the ground. I gripped her tightly, and swayed her back and forth. My knees felt heavy on the stone of the ground, but I didn't care.

Suddenly, Venice turned an even paler shade of white. I looked around to see if anyone was there, but the courtyard was empty. My ears started ringing with an annoying twinkling sound. It got louder and louder, until I couldn't stand it. Venice fell through my grasp and I pressed my hands to my ears. The agonizing pain of the stupid twinkle got louder and louder until-

Venice shot up and took a huge breath, her face still a ghastly shade of white. The twinkling stopped, and Venice's eyes fluttered open. Venice Evans was not dead.

She panted, gasping for air. I put my hand behind her back, and whispered, "You're okay, Venice. Just breathe,". Her grey eyes turned to face me. "I-I-," She struggled to talk. "Shh, shh. Just breathe. You're okay now," I whispered to her. She sat there and focused on her breathing. "Harry, is he-" "He killed him. Harry killed Voldemort," I told her. Her eyes filled with fear, and then relief. She smiled. Venice stabilized herself with her arms and pushed herself up. "You seem pretty strong for a person who just died," I said, hoping to lighten the mood before she saw the final line up of people in the dining hall who had lost their lives. Some of them she once knew. She laughed. I grabbed her hand and walked with her at my side. "What happened, when I died?" She asked me softly. My heart started to beat faster and faster in my chest. I didn't know the answer. "You were just there, physically. But I knew your presence had left your body, and you were somewhere else. It was hard to look at you like that," I said, coming up with an explanation that seemed alright. She looked up at me, and I couldn't resist the urge. I pulled her in, close to me. My lips touched her's, and I knew this was how I wanted my life to be. Screw that other stuff I said about leaving her. I knew it was her I couldn't bear to live without.