An Interrupted Hearing

Venice was stuck in the cellar for 24 hours, without food or water, and stuck in the same stupid dress she wore for the wedding. She felt sick and cold, covered in disgusting dirty fabric. She knew it mustn't be as bad as Azkaban, but it was still quite horrible. What if they never let me out? Venice thought to herself, until the door of her cellar suddenly swung open, and a big buff guard dressed in black stood where the door had just opened. "Get up and follow me, Mudblood," He instructed. Venice scurried to her feet and followed the guard down the hall and into a room which was deserted. He threw her a black cloak and then slammed the door shut, leaving her alone. Venice slipped out of her dress and put on the cloak, which was a lot less looser than she had expected. She left her dress on the floor and proceeded to walk around the room. What was she supposed to do? She didn't know, so she kept pacing. She tried opening the door the guard had shut just a minute before, but it was locked. "I think you're ready, Venice. Ready to show them how filthy you are!" The voice inside Venice's head bursted out in laughter. It rung in Venice's ears, until she collapsed to the floor. She had done so well ignoring it! But now, of course now, it had to come back and taunt her. "Get up, Mudblood! Better get it over with!' It cackled again. Venice concentrated as hard as she could to ignore it, and stood up again. She looked around more intently, and saw that another door had sprouted on the far wall of the room. Venice quickly walked over to it and turned the handle, and it opened.

As soon as Venice stepped into the unknown room, a guard immediately walked over to her. "The hearing for all muggle-borns has commenced. Please wait for your name to be called," The guard said, leading her to an empty chair. Everybody in the room suddenly turned their heads to look at her, and fell silent. Murmurs started spreading around the room, and people pointed at her. Venice quickly sat down in the chair, which was sandwiched between two witches, looking like they were on the verge of tears. Their nervousness gave Venice chills too, and suddenly she was shaking from head to toe. Venice looked down at her feet, hoping everybody would look away. She then noticed how quickly names were being called. About every 5 minutes, a different witch or wizard would be called up and whisked away into the big brass doors that stood at the front of the room.

Her breathing started to tremble as the last names got closer to E. She was scared. What would they say to her? Would they kill her right then and there? She didn't know, but she decided that she would refuse to go down without a fight. "Evans, Venice!" One of the burly guards called. Shivering, she walked up the front of the room, and was pushed inside the doorway.

It was a large courtroom, and only a few people were sitting in the stands at the front. Venice walked slowly to the middle of the room, but she hoped her walking was confident enough to make it seem like she wasn't nervous. Because if they knew how she was really feeling, she was at a huge disadvantage. She sat down on the chair in the middle of the courtroom, and strong silver chains wrapped around her immediately. "Miss Evans! I dare say it seems lovely to see you again!" Umbridge squeaked, with the utterly familiar giggle. "But just to make sure, are you Venice Scorpius Evans?" Umbridge asked in a scarily gentle tone of voice. "Yes," Venice said, trying to keep emotion from showing on her face. "Very well! Now, your family! Mother, muggle of course, Charlotte Josephine Portsmouth?" Umbridge asked, with a big grin on her face. Venice never talked about her parents much, and she felt like bursting into tears. "Yes," She was able to get out. "Oliver Theodore Evans is your muggle father, I assume?" Umbridge continued. Venice couldn't speak, so she just nodded. "Brilliant!" She giggled, "Now, you are somehow related to Harry Potter, I am told! Is this true?" She asked. Venice was just about to answer when a witch with un-tamed black curly hair and black robes walked into the courtroom, interrupting Umbridge's focus. "Ah, Bellatrix! What is it that I can do for you?" Umbridge asked. Venice then remembered she had seen her before. At the Malfoy's house party, she was there with her husband. She's Draco's aunt! Venice finally realized. She then grew a deep hatred for the woman.

"Give me the Mudblood! Her powers can be used with the Dark Lord! I require the Mudblood at once!" Bellatrix snapped. Taken aback, Umbridge let out a sigh. "Fine! Take her, she is not needed with the ministry anyway!" Umbridge replied. Bellatrix smiled and proceeded toward Venice. Venice's body stiffened and stood up straighter as Bellatrix walked forward. "No need to get so tense, girly!" Bellatrix said, laughing. "Relashio" She muttered, pointing her wand at Venice. The chains recoiled immediately, and Venice was let go. Bellatrix grabbed Venice's arms and led her out of the courtroom. Venice didn't dare try to escape; she would die anyway.

Still led by Bellatrix, they went up the lift and back to the main floor's atrium. Wizards were walking around and going to work busily, so nobody seemed to care. Although Venice did notice that a few looked over at her curiously, but continued on. With a sharp turn, Bellatrix and Venice went toward the magical transportation fireplaces, as known as the Floo Network. "Grab my arm, Mudblood." Bellatrix ordered. Venice obeyed and held onto her arm. With a squishing and whirling sensation, they were both suddenly somewhere else.

"I've got her, I've got her!" Bellatrix chanted, practically jumping up and down and squealing. Her voice echoed through the place. Venice recognized it at once. It was Malfoy Manor.

"Wonderful, Bellatrix," said a man, who showed himself as he walked into the entrance hall. It was Lucius Malfoy. "Bring her into the dining hall, to meet everybody," he said, with a hopeful tone in his voice. Bellatrix grabbed Venice's shoulders and led her down the hall.

The manor was dark, and the only light in the house was pouring in through the windows, but even then it wasn't much thanks to the stormy weather. "Shh, look! It's the Mudblood!" A Death Eater whispered to another as Venice was led into the grand dining room. A whole line of solemn and serious Death Eaters were staring at her. Venice started trembling again, because she was afraid of what was to come. "Mother, how dare you!" A voice rang from across the hall. "Draco-" The woman started, but stopped. Draco and Narcissa Malfoy spotted Venice.