Life in the Hospital's Wing

Venice woke up in the hospital wing about 3:30 in the afternoon. "Oh, good! You're awake! Now, drink this please," Madam Pomfrey said as soon as her eyes fluttered open. She swallowed a deep blue liquid, not knowing exactly what it was for. Venice felt a slight sting on her left thigh, and unwrapped the covers to see what had happened. There was a large scar, being covered over by a new layer of skin. Disgusted, Venice put the blanket back over it and rested her head. She dozed off again, most likely due to the side affects of the medicine.

Draco pushed open the doors to the hospital wing once again. "May I see Venice?" He said worriedly to Madam Pomfrey. "She's asleep right now, but I suppo-" He cut her off and pushed passed her. Venice was sleeping in a hospital bed on the far side of the hall. He took a seat in one of the chairs beside her bed, and stared at her. What was it that she was doing last night? Why was she screaming? Draco had so many questions, and no answers. He grabbed her hand out of the abundance of blankets on top of her, and squeezed it. Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked at him.

Venice looked up to see Draco holding her hand. "Wha- what-" she stammered. But he ignored her and got out of his chair. He started walking towards to the doors quickly. "Draco!" She was finally able to yell, after she found her voice. But he did not look back. "Draco, please," she whispered to herself. She began to cry, and leaned back against the headboard of the bed as he walked out the doors.

Draco kept walking until he got to the room of requirement. As scheduled, two teenage girls were standing outside of it. "Crabbe, Goyle. Sorry I was running a bit late, I had er- someone to see. Cover for me," Draco said to them as he walked into the room of requirement. For about the third time already this year, he would test the Vanishing Cabinet which would help the Death Eaters gain access into Hogwarts.

The next few weeks were a blur. Every night, Venice had nightmares over and over again. The voice that haunted her that one night kept coming back, but Venice knew it was no use to go throw more stuff. She just had to deal with it by herself. She never told Hermione or Ginny about it, because they would say stupid things to her like "Try to ignore it!" Or "Don't listen to it!". Venice didn't eat much, either. Her appetite had gone down drastically, and she was at a very unstable weight that she could barely keep herself standing up at times. Everybody thought she was just a normal Slytherin girl, with a ton of friends. But the compelling forces in her brain were fighting with her in every single waking moment, talking to her and making her act a few different ways which she did not condone.

Academically, Venice wasn't doing very well. She had lost her focus and will to keep at whatever she was doing, and would trail off and think about something else. Many times in potions, Slughorn would ask "Venice, everything alright?" And Venice would nod happily, as if there was nothing but a care in the world. But it wasn't like that. Venice just didn't want to show it.

Draco had become a lot more stressed, too. With the dark lord rising, he had to help step in for his father and find a way to let the death eaters into the castle. His main mission: To Assassinate Albus Dumbledore, a blood traitor. Draco didn't know if he could do it, but he was determined to try. Although, he saw Snape watching him more and more each day in a Defence Against The Dark Arts. Draco got worried he knew what he was up too, but then realized that they were on the same side.

It was New Year's Day, and Venice woke up feeling fine. Until she stood up. The ground below her felt like it was shaking rapidly, but she knew this was no earthquake. All the other girls weren't stirring, and were still fast asleep. Venice stumbled and grasped onto the dresser beside her bed. She put a hand over her mouth and bolted out the dormitory and straight for the washroom. She puked, and had flashbacks of the similar situation she had on the train coming to Hogwarts. Tears started rolling down her face, and she passed out once again.

The hospital wing was vacant. Classes had started again since winter break, and it was about 5 days in. But Venice was in the hospital. Madam Pomfrey insisted she stayed in longer, because she wasn't sure of what was wrong with Venice. Venice stared at the ceiling of the hospital wing and fell into a deep thought. Who had brought her into the hospital this time? It couldn't have been Draco, because she didn't think Draco would snoop around the girls bathroom (but I mean, who's to say?). What Slytherin girl would have taken her here? Nobody from her own house liked her, and she loathed Pansy Parkinson. Her gang probably would've spread rumours already about her. Whatever, Venice thought. Venice felt her stomach make a weird movement, then she realized she hadn't ate for days. It didn't matter, anyway. It's not like food would have made much of a difference in her condition. She then fell asleep.

The next day, Venice was let out. As she was walking down the halls to the Slytherin dormitory to grab her books, she got weird stares from everybody; even from people she had never interacted with. Venice went to her bed and grabbed her books that she needed for potions and charms, and left to go to class.

Venice was in potions class for the first time in about a week. Professor Slughorn seemed to have been notified of the reason for Venice's absence, because all he said upon her arrival was "Ah, good morning Venice!" During the class, Venice tended to avoid Draco's gaze. She decided that if he wanted to ignore her, she would return the favour.

Draco noticed she looked a whole lot different than the last time he saw her. She looked skinnier and pale, with her eye area looking quite dark and faded. It seemed like she was starving herself, and she hadn't slept for days. Draco didn't know what to think. He knew he still loved her, and the only way to protect her from the Dark Lord and prove himself worthy at the same time was to stay out of her way.