Chapter 4 - All Aboard

Leia very rarely adventures through Aldera, the city surrounding the palace. In fact, any time she's outside her home, Leia is accompanied by at least two other people—and, of course, it's always broad daylight. Being part of a the royal family means you can't go anywhere without someone to "protect" you. Not that Leia has ever needed a bodyguard, but it's part of the deal. Especially since she's still "just a kid". Some serious nonsense.

Yet, somehow, Leia knows her way around. The streets are dark and abandoned, lit only by scarce hanging lanterns and the starlight. She doesn't dare make a sound.

The shipyard isn't far—not that the princess should really know that fact. She's never been to that particular area of the town. After all, what's the point in going there? She's never left Alderaan. Nevertheless, Leia arrives soon enough at the desired location. As it was even farther from the town center, little to no light was given.

Leia crept silently through the shipyard. There, many tourist and or citizen ships were parked and docked. The Princess desperately hoped that she'd find a ship that she didn't recognize so she could board it. Either way, she'd have to board quickly and quietly — no one could know that she was aboard.

Her plan was to stow away and exit the ship when it reached a destination. If the pilot found out that the Princess of Alderaan was aboard their ship, things would only go downhill from there.

With all this in mind, Leia stalked the shipyard and eyed every vessel she walked past. Some she recognized as Alderaan citizen ships; she definitely wouldn't be boarding one of those.

Others were completely new to her; that was what she wanted. However, she couldn't seem to decide on one. Her fate kind of depended on what ship she chose. The worse case scenario was that she would end up choosing a pirate ship. But as far as Leia was concerned, pirates didn't really occupy Alderaan.

At least. . .she hoped that they didn't. She had heard stories about smugglers, though. Were smugglers the same as pirates? They sounded similar to her.

Suddenly feeling significantly less safe, Leia's eyes spotted a rusty, mismatched, grey ship with the ramp lowered. Instantly, she darted towards it. That could be her only chance to board a ship.

She knew, of course, that it was risky. Her brain was sending her all sorts of signals and red flags and warnings. But there was no time to rethink her decision. It was now or never.

Leia ran to the lowered ramp and skidded to a halt at the base of it. She strained her ears to make sure she didn't hear anything. Then, when the coast was hopefully clear, Leia tiptoed up the metallic ramp and directly into the ship.

She took a moment to observe her new surroundings. A few halls split the entry area into seperate parts, and there were pipes and wires everywhere.

The floor was dirty and the walls weren't any better. Crates lined the room that Leia currently stood in. From somewhere inside (or perhaps underneath) the ship, something clanged into something else, and a hollow ringing sound echoed throughout the entrance.

Readjusting her satchel slung over her shoulder, the young girl took a deep breath and walked onward. She took extremely careful steps as to not creak the floor (it was metal. . .but she mustn't take chances). Leia chose a hall and started down it.

The corridor led out to another dimly lit room. There were a few chairs, a standard control station, a checkered game table with a couch (of sorts) around it, and more boxes. Leia wanted to snort in disdain at how unkempt the ship was. If only her father were here to see this.

"What kind of person leaves their ship in this condition? With all this junk lying around, you'd think the person lived in this ship!" Leia thought.