Chapter 39 - Big Mistake

A/N: WELP, I'm sorry for goin' AWOL over the past week. . .with high school comes midterms, and with midterms comes bucket-loads of stress that beats down time to publish chapters :/

But I'm back now!! And to be honest, things start picking up in this story now. Real quickly, too. I also realize the end is close. . .which is kinda sad, but it was bound to happen someday, right?

PS. . .I hope you all had a rockin' New Year!! 2017 is gonna be a great one—I CAN FEEEEL IT.

So. Without further ado, I present to you. . .CHAPTER 39!!!

WHEEEEEEEE!!

The next morning, Han woke up first. The twins were still asleep, and, by the looks of it, should probably sleep a little longer. It was a rough night.

So, Han pushed himself up off the floor and carefully stepped over to the sealed door. No noise could be heard except the twins' steady breathing, but Han pressed his ear to the door, just in case.
There didn't seem to be anyone else aboard the shuttle. Had the stormtroopers left to scout out the town again?

Han palmed the door controls, hoping the troopers were really gone. The door slid open with a quiet clanking sound. Han peered out into the shuttle and found no armored soldiers. Finally, he decided it was all clear.

Inside the small cargo hold, Leia woke up from the light that was now flooding into the room. She groaned, rolled over, and rubbed her tired eyes. Luke woke up shortly after and crawled over to the door.

"Hey!" he said. "The stormtroopers are gone. Han's out there, exploring the rest of the ship. Think it's safe to leave?"

Leia sighed. "Yeah, probably. If Han's out there, it should be fine."

That was all Luke needed to hear. The young boy dashed out the door as fast as his legs could carry him. Leia stood up to follow, but something on the floor caught her eye. The datapad.

With a split second decision, Princess Leia grabbed her satchel, slid the Imperial datapad into it, and exited the cargo hold.

It took Leia a moment to find her friends. They were exploring every square inch of the cockpit, since both Han and Luke were interested in piloting.

"Find anything good?" Leia asked, startling the two boys.

"Not really," Han started. Then, almost as an afterthought, he added, "Here, catch."

Leia just barely caught the object Han threw at her.

"A blaster?" she asked, turning it over in her hands.

"Yep. Imperial grade, standard hold-out blaster. Not very big, but it'll get the job done if it comes down to it."

"Why did you give it to me?"

"You might need it. And you look like you could handle one of those better than the huge stormtrooper guns I found over there," Han said, pointing to another wall. It contained a rack of large, black military blasters, not unlike the ones in the cargo hold.

Leia looked at her little blaster again before saying, "Well. . .thanks." She clipped the gun to her side and pulled the edge of her sandy tunic over it. She'd practiced with blasters before, but she'd never been given one of her own.

Han began walking towards the closed ramp of the shuttle.

"I'm goin' out to the town and buying some supplies, if I can find anything. Can you guys stay here and not destroy, burn, smash, ruin, dent or kill anything?"