Chapter-5 {Contrasting Confrontations}

"I am not helping you out of generosity, Mrs. Murthy. I believe you know that."

Nandini saw her mother sitting gazing floor. Deputy was looking unvanquished.

"There's a price for everything. Isn't there?" He further asked, "You are a lady who must be knowing this. Aren't you?"

Mother looked at him blankly and then nodded.

Nandini couldn't apprehend what the conversation was about. She hadn't seen her mother this bewildered ever. She wasn't meeting gaze of that man. She was constantly looking down.

A scary thought passed Nandini's mind about the 'price' which got mentioned there. Her mother had gone highly secretive from past few days. It wasn't like Nandini didn't try talk about what was bothering her mother. It was just they had grown this wall since she had started understanding things her mother didn't want her to get into.

"I'll take your leave then. Think about it," Deputy said, "I shall be waiting for your answer." He collected his hat from the table and walked out.

"What was it about, Mother?" Nandini asked as soon as Deputy walked out.

Her mother's face turned even paler seeing Nandini there.

"What are you doing here, Nandini?" She stood up and walked to her.

"You were supposed to rest," she added.

Holding Nandini's hand, she started walking towards her bed.

"What price that man was talking about? What mess you are into, mother?" Nandini asked instantly.

Her mother had formed these fine lines on forehead and started fidgeting while setting Nandini's bed.

"Nandini held her from forearm and asked, "what is it? "
Mrs. Murthy looked into her eyes and then that scared expression turned into helpless frustration.

"Nothing you should poke your nose into. You are not supposed to know everything I do, young lady, " she spoke.

Nandini stood even more perplexed at sudden outburst.

"Do not try to brush this off. I have right to know what my mother is going through. I know you are concealing a lot of things from me. Did I again ask about father again? I didn't. I could see helplessness in your eyes. But now hearing you talking to a moron about some price, I am worried. And I am not going to let you walk away without answering me," Nandini declared in one breath.

Frustration in her mother's eyes melted into tears and she looked at her daughter with all affection.

"What price you are thinking to pay to these cruel officers here? And for what?" She added.

"Nandini"
Her mother draped her in arms and Nandini felt warm tears escaping her own eyes.

"When did my munchkin grew that mature to understand what I do not dare to speak about," Mrs. Murthy murmured.

Nandini tightly hugged her mother and finally she could feel ice wall melting.

Moment prevailed for sometime and then mother-daughter sat on bed with an intention to have a conversation finally.

"I know I am being unfair to you... About a lot of things," Mrs. Murthy said, "you had right to know."

Nandini looked at her with all her love. She wouldn't let anger build icy wall again at any cost.

"Your father is not with us. You are his daughter more than mine. Aren't you?" she smiled a bit.

Nandini too let a chuckle escape her throat.