Chapter-18 {It's Nothing}

Covering herself in shawl so that no one sees her face, she walked swiftly behind him. His hand was clutching her hand in firm grip as he took her in an old building. It was dead dark but still there was this fine scent of abode around. 

Home!

Her mind immediately rebuffed the notion as she knew there's no place called home for her, not especially when people there considered her enemy. Nandini's chain of thoughts got broken by a glimpse her prudent eyes caught. A familiar figure, a smile played on her lips as soon as they reached a bit closer. 

Nandini ran towards that figure leaving Manik's hand. Taking her in bone crushing hug, she let out the overwhelm.

"Aashi," She mumbled as she hugged her tighter.

"Nandiniiii, I can't breathe," Aashi said.

Nandini abruptly backed down and looked a bit embarrassed.

"I am sorry," She said sheepishly. Aashi took her in warm hug and both smiled to their content. 

"I think your meet and greet can wait till we get in," Manik said and started to unlock the door of old library. 

"Why are you getting jealous?" Aashi taunted and he glared her. Nandini's smile faded a bit and she held Aashi's hand tightly. Manik unlocked the door and stepped away to let the ladies enter. Aashi got in and Nandini followed her, stopping by Manik for a second or two, giving him a compelling glance. He looked away, maybe pushing her away a little more. She had this power to peep into his soul, and he hadn't the courage to let her in. 

She walked in and looked at the place. It was an abandoned library. One part of it was used to put the grain and other stock, while another was still untouched. A big window opened to the enchanting view of forest and mountains, and rest of the walls had these big glass almirahs with numerous books within. Smell of books could reach her nostrils and a smile touched her lips.

"It's heaven," She murmured. 

Aashi walked beside her and said, "It's not a regular warehouse so nobody would come here except me."

Nandini looked at her smilingly.

"Or maybe Manik," Aashi added and looked at him who was standing at door looking outside. 

Nandini nodded and said, "Thank you."

Aashi smiled at her and then side hugged her. 

"We'll go for now as I don't want people to doubt us," She said and walked to the door. 

"There's food on table and a dress beside. I hope it fits you," She added.

Nandini smiled and looked at door. He was not there. Manik had already walked out without even looking at her. Aashi said in low tone, "There's washroom at end of library. I have put hot water." 

Nandini mouthed a thank you and Aashi locked the room. 

"Why do you have to be so cold all the time?" Aashi shouted as soon as she locked the room.

Manik glared her as she reached him. 

"None of your business," He said sternly.

"Whom are you fooling, Manik?" She retorted.

 "Aashi, I don't want to talk about it," He warned and paced out of lobby leaving a baffled Aashi.

----------------------------
Nandini came out wearing an off white dress and picked up the sweater from table. She smiled as she wore it thinking about how Aashi had arranged everything. She dried her long wisps with towel and walked to the big window which had dirty curtains hanging down. Life felt normal. She sighed. She didn't remember when did she last stand under a roof and had a moment with herself. Hot bath helped a lot to calm down the aching mind. She was feeling much content. Fear crossed her mind as she realized how everything of it was temporary. A thin veil was hiding the ugly reality, waiting when someone would brutally take it off and she would be standing naked. She didn't even own these moments. Everything was a mercy of time. But She still was thankful.