Chapter -70 {Metamorphosis}

There was a commotion in the refugee camp. It seemed like the supplies were there. People ran towards the trucks as if their lives depended on it. For a matter of fact, it did. But unlike other days, this time the shutters of trucks didn't open. People had already made a queue anticipating food and water. A military jeep entered the arena and an officer walked out. He scrunched his nose as the air of that camp entered his nostrils. He looked over the crowd of hundreds and all he could deduct was hunger. Those faces were deprived of any color. Those eyes were hungry for answers and probably their stomachs hungrier.

It had been two days since last supply. Those people hadn't eaten in two days. The officer prepared himself to deliver for what he had come in that filthy camp.

"Food is here," He spoke loudly.

"I guess you all are hungry," He added and chuckled.

"We have been feeding you for months now. We have been giving you all what you need. Didn't we?"

His eyes roamed around and found no expressions on those tainted faces. Those people were done with everything.

"But everything comes with a price."

"You want food, you will get food but we need something in return."

He saw small kids licking their lips in anticipation. They needed feed, they weren't in state to want something. He chuckled dryly.

"Look at this paper," He said and showed them a blank paper.

"Sign it today and we will open the shutters of these trucks," He stated as if it was the simplest proposition.

Again a commotion filled the dried air.

"Lay the table," He commanded his soldiers.

People stood there looking at a table and a food truck behind it. One signature on a blank paper didn't mean anything but it could mean selling your soul to the Satan. It could be anything.

Distantly a father left his son's hand and walked to the commander. His eyes were dry and spirit even drier. He took the pen and signed the blank paper. A burden clenched his chest but he could feel his feet getting lighter. He walked to the food supply truck and took whatever he wanted for his son. Turning around, he saw questioning eyes. A few gathered the courage to follow his footstep and get ration for their families, few still stood perplexed.

In no time, blank papers weren't blank anymore and the food trucks empty.

______________

A scroll stared Nandini's face as she sat in her chair looking at the magnificent view of mountains. Her eyes had the conviction as she looked at that sprawled stroll once again. It had the signatures of the council of the south. Her lips formed a smile as she dived in her chair. In a week, the Councillors were going to be there to discuss the plan of action.

"Time to go," Veer brought her out of her thoughts and she nodded.

Walking out of her office, she followed Veer. They were going to meet a local tribe. They were gathering an army for the upcoming war.

Soon they were on horses being followed by the guards.

"However, they are ready to lend their support to us but talking to you would give them much needed clarity," Veer told her as they entered a rough road which forked into the forest.

Nandini nodded in understanding and looked at the serene beauty of those hilly paths.

Soon they were at the gates of a human colony. Passing by a village, she noticed how people saw her with amusement. Their eyes held no hostility but they didn't know her either. She took a deep breath. She knew she had a task ahead of her. If she wished to lead this war of freedom, she had to step down the aisle in the truest sense. She got off her her horse as Veer waited for her at the doorstep of a small cottage.