Chapter-27{Turning back the clock}

Nandini paid a skeptical look to a bunch of very strange people as Manik took them a bit away from her to brief about something. It was early morning and as decided she was going to visit her house to gather list of items which she had promised to give to the camp. As far as she knew it was Harshit and his men who were going to accompany her. Of course she knew there was no way Manik wouldn't be with her. That was easiest thing to deduce but it was altogether very different scenario now in front of her eyes. Manik looked back at her and then back at those very stern faces, they all were hardly seen people of camp. She had seen few of them wandering around aloof but none of them was men of Harshit for sure. 

Manik walked back to her, zipping his coat, and that's when she realized she was surely missing on something. He was the same man who was angry with her for thinking to go there and now he was leading the expedition. 

"Who are those people?" She asked as he reached her. He tilted his head a bit trying to look as composed as he could and then sighed aloud. 

"They are the ones who would come with us to your house," He informed with a smile. 

Nandini peeped out of his broad frame to look at those puzzling faces and Manik looked back to accompany her questioning stare. 

"Don't worry. They are totally trustworthy and safe people," He informed with a tinge of control. She had hardly seen him that okay with any set of people. 

"They look like escaped goons," She remarked passively.

"Why would you say so?" Manik asked almost appalled, "They have to be nicest people of camp." 

Nandini looked at him a bit surprised. It was unusual of him being this much vocal about people. She wondered if he was alright or not.

"So they are your gang," She asked crossing her arms across her chest. 

He looked offended, then bit inhibited and finally totally plain. She rolled her eyes as he gained his desired facet. 

"I don't do 'gang' thing. I wonder how could you even think so," He said a bit complaining. 

"I cannot risk your life so I chose them to accompany us in case we need to tackle a force," He explained. 

"And what happened to Harshit?" She asked even when she knew it was bad string to play. 

"He couldn't make it," Manik told casually and then fidgeted with his gloves. 

"Now if your doubts are clear, we shall leave," He said diverting the topic. 

Nandini nodded and Manik gestured those people to start the truck. 

____________________

Packed atmosphere, mourning silence and bone piercing cold; Nandini rubbed her hands together as they crossed one more empty check-post. She looked outside the window and yet again her breath fogged the glass. She wiped it and yawned. It was a boring journey. She looked at Manik who was driving the truck silently since one hour as if didn't know her at all. She was irked to a great extent by then. She loathed his capricious behavior and he knew it. He was all open one instant and then cold complicated stone face next. She narrowed her eyes as she started at him for good two minutes and he didn't even care to look back. He was like this machine who was wired to look at empty road only. They were alone in cabin while all other men were in semitrailer in back. 

"Are we there yet?" She asked breaking the not-so-golden silence. 

"Not even close," He replied swiftly as if was waiting for her to ask. 

She looked away and he shook his head. They took a sharp curve and she landed on part of seat which she had purposely left to maintain a distance. She was protesting for something very incomprehensible and she knew it.